Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I had a question about brakes, just bought my girlfriend an 01 cbr f4i, i rode it home about a 2 hour ride. no issues. she rode it and it was to tall, so i lowered the front by loosening the triple claps and lowering it about 41mm, no issue there and rear as well. she rode it around the parking lot with no issues. i had to move the brake fluid reserve and didnt realize the hose was being pinched off, she rode it and the front locked up on her going 30mph, very minor road rash to the bike and a nice bump on her knee. i was trailing and stopped to help her, i then noticed the front brakes had the wheel stuck and the brake lever was stiff. so i released the bleeder and the both calipers released the rotor, she rode it home which was 5 miles away, i fabricated a piece of aluminum to make the correction on the brake fluid reservoir. flushed the brake fluid with new stuff and rode the bike around the block, brakes worked fine. she got on it to ride and made it about 5 min and was going about 30-35 mph and the brakes seized on her again, this time she pulled in the clutch and came to a good stop. Has anyone ever seen this issue? mind you the bike did sit for about 2 years, the guy said he would ride it around the block every so often, but it sat.

Question is, do i need to rebuild the calipers or just take them apart and thoroughly clean them?

things i have changed since day of purchase last week,

-aftermarket shorty levers
-lowered the front and rear
-moved the brake fluid reserve - did not unplug any hoses- and the lines were flushed this morning.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
how much is left on the pads and are the rotors in good shape? if the pistons in the calipers are riding out too far they may get pulled cock eyed in the bore and not retract. causing them to lock up. it will be rather obvious if they need replacing. if this is the case the calipers will need rebuilding as well, the seals and guides do not take well to this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may need to replace the brake hose. Once pinched, the inside of the hose can collapse and create a one-way valve. Good time to go with stainless braided steel hose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Brake issue aside by lowering the bike that much you are creating a terrible handling issue. I mean it is downright dangerous as the bike will fight the rider into and out of every single turn and the grip you get from the tires will never be optimal in any orientation other than straight up and down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake issue aside by lowering the bike that much you are creating a terrible handling issue. I mean it is downright dangerous as the bike will fight the rider into and out of every single turn and the grip you get from the tires will never be optimal in any orientation other than straight up and down.
I can't imagine 41mm of lowering in the front only! That would make the head angle steeper by at least 2 degrees. Make the bike twitchy and prone to oversteer. Be easy to start a turn and hell to end one. The trail would go negative which will make the bike wander while upright. Any wrong throttle control (i.e. chopping it) in a corner will make the bike fall over while leaned as the bikes oversteer will be magnified as the front end dives.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Before dropping the forks, I would relax the preload front and rear. Not only would it help bring the bike to her but it will aid in rider comfort and allow a reduction in rebound damping.

A good pair of thick soled street-riding boots would add a bit to her height. I would then consider removing some material from the seat and reducing the tire pressure a few lbs and just accepting the suboptimal tire wear. Lowering a bike is considered a last resort and if more than about 10-15mm I would consider a different bike.

I transferred my beloved 02' F4i to my wife and thankfully dropping preload was all she needed, she already had street boots coming from her CBR250R.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My wife is fairly short and only 120lbs she refuses to sacrifice handling for sure footing even on her literbike. You just make due with what you have and stand on one tippy toe when you come to a stop. Much better than making the bike harder to ride just so you can put both feet down when you are not moving

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Your wife rides track and in that environment I agree 100%. Being able to touch both feet down is a safety issue on the street, IMO. I'd recommend another bike around the time we're thinking of moving the chassis.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
@LDH - What kind of bike is that in the pic? Doesn't look like a standard F4i. 04-07 600RR maybe?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I completely understand what you are saying. this bike is currently for a novice rider and will not be going canyon carving anytime soon, this was lowered simply to build confidence and assurance to be able to touch and comfortable with stopping and going. once this rider becomes confident enough with riding around and wants to try turns, i will put the suspension back to stock height.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before dropping the forks, I would relax the preload front and rear. Not only would it help bring the bike to her but it will aid in rider comfort and allow a reduction in rebound damping.

A good pair of thick soled street-riding boots would add a bit to her height. I would then consider removing some material from the seat and reducing the tire pressure a few lbs and just accepting the suboptimal tire wear. Lowering a bike is considered a last resort and if more than about 10-15mm I would consider a different bike.

I transferred my beloved 02' F4i to my wife and thankfully dropping preload was all she needed, she already had street boots coming from her CBR250R.
The bike is solely set up to gain confidence in a novice rider, once that is built i will put it back to stock. lowering it was like putting training wheels on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't imagine 41mm of lowering in the front only! That would make the head angle steeper by at least 2 degrees. Make the bike twitchy and prone to oversteer. Be easy to start a turn and hell to end one. The trail would go negative which will make the bike wander while upright. Any wrong throttle control (i.e. chopping it) in a corner will make the bike fall over while leaned as the bikes oversteer will be magnified as the front end dives.
rear was lowered about an inch and a half, thats what the lowering link allowed me to do, i did have one more setting a little more than 2 inches. but felt it was too much.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts