Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pulling my bike out for the spring and noticed a coolant leak. I havent run it since last year and it wasn't leaking when i put it away. As far as i know.

I have the fairings off and the air box off and can see it is dripping at the upper radiator hose connection to what i believe is the thermostat housing. It is definitely dripping here and dripping down all over everything. There is also a stain below that on the cylinder right below the head gasket that makes it look like the head gasket is leaking.

I dont have a battery right now, the old one was on its last legs last fall and i got rid of it.

I did a coolant flush last year and run honda hp 50/50 so i know it didnt freeze up over the winter.

Before i put it away it ran awesome all season no issues or loss of power whatsoever. Idk how it could be the head or gasket.

Ill upload some pics. Thoughts?
2CD98FE8-B69B-4340-9E76-855D7C85589C.jpeg
2C3E0B97-DF54-4B21-8D98-D0B8B3DE4D25.jpeg
9E504C80-F983-4220-95FA-7BFA7FD53052.jpeg
84831D46-F753-421E-B1EA-137B2F4461F3.jpeg
FE8D48CC-7A2D-4031-A9F9-100C22907061.jpeg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify,

top two pics are the upper rad hose where it goes into tstat housing (you can see blue drips)

third pic is the block/head under tstat housing prob. Center of cyl 2/3 - looks like its leaking here as well but i am hoping it is from upper rad hose? not sure

4th pic is top of case, again below tstat housing where coolant is pooling

5th pic is same as 3rd with different lighting

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be best to run the bike on the stand and see what happens? (See if i can identify leak/s) I would need to pick up a battery but was going to anyway.

Can i run the bike without airbox connected?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
first check all the clips are done up properly. both my 1000 and my mate zx10r the clips had become slightly loose over time, or the rubber hose had squished, one or the other, and tightening them up cured the issue

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first check all the clips are done up properly. both my 1000 and my mate zx10r the clips had become slightly loose over time, or the rubber hose had squished, one or the other, and tightening them up cured the issue
Thanks for the response

Ok good news. I think. Picked up a battery. Tightened all hose clamps, many were very loose in my opinion. Snugged them up. CleAned all residual mess with brush and soap and water.

Fired her up and proceeded to bring up to temp. Immeadiate smell of coolant but went away almost instantly. Definitely did not notice this last year.

Ok so around 130-160 F or so i noticed a leak from the housing below the tstat housing. (Not sure what it actually is) See pic. Taken from right side of bike. Heavy stainage here in pics in first post. This would explain the stainage. Once it came up to temp it seemed to either seal up or was hot enough to evaporate quickly.

So can i just snug these two bolts up or do you think the gasket is busted?

once it reached temp (normal amount of time) the fans kicked right on and i shut her down. Currently monitoring for more leaks.

Thoughts?
A4331968-2482-4B4B-97FF-735D38D5F2D0.jpeg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edit: last pic is "water joint" p/n 19060-mcj-000 according to schematics has an o ring behind it, not a gasket. Safe to snug her up? I will let it cool first motor is still warm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i was able to slightly tighten the Water Joint cover but it was already pretty tight. No way can i get a torque wrench in there. Just got a little bit out of each bolt (2) and called it good. I can still see the faintest bubbling but no liquid. I think it goes away when fully warmed up.

I guess the obvious thing would be to replace the o ring. Anybody have this happen before? Wondering if i should just run it and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you know the torque on these two bolts?

If I pull the tank i think i can get in there. If not then Ill just go snug.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok couldnt find a torque value. If anything its prob 9 ft lb so i just went by feel. New o ring is in. It is an updated part number. I think i got it but of course had to drain the coolant. Sometime during initial warmup i noticed a drop of coolant at the bottom of the housing. I wiped it off and it didnt seem to come back. I am hoping that was just some residual coolant somewhere on the mating surface that got squeezed out. Guess Im gonna let the bike cool completely and clean the area real good and keep an eye on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts