Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My friend has lost the (only) key to his '02 954. The bike seems to be a US spec model because the turn signals stay on and it doesn't have the Fireblade moniker on it. It definitely has hiss. What should he do now?

I spoke to bikebandit.com and they suggest that the lock switch needs to be replaced and you're good to go. It will come with 2 new programmed and cut keys. He says the the ecm/ecu will have to be replaced.

In which year was HISS introduced in the US? I hear it was introduced first everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi,

My friend has lost the (only) key to his '02 954. The bike seems to be a US spec model because the turn signals stay on and it doesn't have the Fireblade moniker on it. It definitely has hiss. What should he do now?

I spoke to bikebandit.com and they suggest that the lock switch needs to be replaced and you're good to go. It will come with 2 new programmed and cut keys. He says the the ecm/ecu will have to be replaced.

In which year was HISS introduced in the US? I hear it was introduced first everywhere else.
If it has HISS then it is definately not a US model - I'm not aware of any US bikes at all with HISS.
Then Bikebandit are wrong.
You will need to get a new or secondhand non-US HISS ECU _with_ matched keys. Only the ECU and keys matter although you may want to get the keys with an ignition switch already cut to match the keys.
All you need is a coded key within 50mm of the HISS sensor to trigger the HISS off, you can start the bike with a simple key cut to fit your existing ignition if you wish.
The alternative is to get the complete US ECU, harness, instruments and ignition switch and get rid of the HISS entirely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it known as the Fireblade in all markets other than the US? I've also noticed that the American bikes usually have their turn signals on all the time with the low beam.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Isn't it known as the Fireblade in all markets other than the US? I've also noticed that the American bikes usually have their turn signals on all the time with the low beam.
I think it is a Fireblade everywhere except the US but I don't know that they all have the same stickers. Since it's hardly new the stickers could've been removed or the fairings may have been replaced with US parts already.
No idea about the lights but I'm sure it's not just the US and somebody may have modified it anyway.
The VIN will tell you which market it is.
SC44A are non-US bikes, SC44B is Germany and SC44C is France.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is a Fireblade everywhere except the US but I don't know that they all have the same stickers. Since it's hardly new the stickers could've been removed or the fairings may have been replaced with US parts already.
No idea about the lights but I'm sure it's not just the US and somebody may have modified it anyway.
The VIN will tell you which market it is.
SC44A are non-US bikes, SC44B is Germany and SC44C is France.
Thanks!

Its an SC50 bike. This is the chassis number on the right side though. The vin is on the left side, correct?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
uk bikes have run dip lights on all the time since about 2004.

Dealer should be able to supply keys (which coded chip inside) from the VIN on the log book if the ecu is original.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks!

Its an SC50 bike. This is the chassis number on the right side though. The vin is on the left side, correct?
Sorry, yes SC50 for the 954's :)
No idea as the VIN tag can be anywhere. Here it's on the steering head.
The VIN _is_ the chassis number copied to the VIN tag which has the date and model among other information for licensing.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
uk bikes have run dip lights on all the time since about 2004.

Dealer should be able to supply keys (which coded chip inside) from the VIN on the log book if the ecu is original.
We had hard-wired lights for a few years but as far as I know the law was reversed some years ago. Many bikes are still hard-wired though simply because it would cost the manufacturer's money to change it unnecessarily.
Are you sure about the HISS keys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, yes SC50 for the 954's :)
No idea as the VIN tag can be anywhere. Here it's on the steering head.
The VIN _is_ the chassis number copied to the VIN tag which has the date and model among other information for licensing.
So where are the SC50 bikes from?

The 954 service manual (pdf) that I have says that the VIN is always on the left side on the frame. Its an American manual though.

We had hard-wired lights for a few years but as far as I know the law was reversed some years ago. Many bikes are still hard-wired though simply because it would cost the manufacturer's money to change it unnecessarily.
Are you sure about the HISS keys?
What do you mean by "hard-wired?

Is it a good idea to get a switch made for bikes so that you can switch off the low beam in the day?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So where are the SC50 bikes from?

The 954 service manual (pdf) that I have says that the VIN is always on the left side on the frame. Its an American manual though.

What do you mean by "hard-wired?

Is it a good idea to get a switch made for bikes so that you can switch off the low beam in the day?
All 954's are SC50's. The A,B or C after it indicates which non-US market it was built for. US market bikes have a number instead of a letter - 0 for 49-state bikes and 1 for Cali bikes.
Hard-wired meaning they don't have a switch to turn the lights off.
It depends on your view of whether having your lights on makes it easier or harder to be seen by others. I personally don't believe it makes any difference if they're on or off if the other person isn't looking out for you anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All 954's are SC50's. The A,B or C after it indicates which non-US market it was built for. US market bikes have a number instead of a letter - 0 for 49-state bikes and 1 for Cali bikes.
Hard-wired meaning they don't have a switch to turn the lights off.
It depends on your view of whether having your lights on makes it easier or harder to be seen by others. I personally don't believe it makes any difference if they're on or off if the other person isn't looking out for you anyway.
This bike doesnt have any letters after the SC50. Its all numbers after that. Something like SC501144. Will post the exact number.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
This bike doesnt have any letters after the SC50. Its all numbers after that. Something like SC501144. Will post the exact number.
In that case it's a US bike - and doesn't have HISS.
Has it got the HISS sensor around the ignition?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
But it has the HISS light that blinks. I think it has the sticker on the tank too. What does the sensor look like?
A collar around the ignition switch with H.I.S.S written on it.
Don't recall seeing a sticker on the tank.
I have never seen the HISS light on mine but I believe it's possible to turn it off so the original owner must have done so.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
A collar around the ignition switch with H.I.S.S written on it.
Don't recall seeing a sticker on the tank.
I have never seen the HISS light on mine but I believe it's possible to turn it off so the original owner must have done so.
Your right, users are able to turn off the HISS light which blinks for a period of time when the ignition is turned off.

In the attached photos, you can see in one the HISS light on the dash and the surround around the ignition barrel. In the other two you can just about make out the sticker on the top of the tank. One is talking about wearing helmets (square one), and theres another one towards the front of the bike which is the HISS one.

Also, in regards to Machineheads post, the later batch of the 954RRs (2003 and maybe some late 2002s) had a fixed light switch therefore you could only toggle between main and dipped beam. I've got the switch on mine (mines an '02).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Your right, users are able to turn off the HISS light which blinks for a period of time when the ignition is turned off.

In the attached photos, you can see in one the HISS light on the dash and the surround around the ignition barrel. In the other two you can just about make out the sticker on the top of the tank. One is talking about wearing helmets (square one), and theres another one towards the front of the bike which is the HISS one.

Also, in regards to Machineheads post, the later batch of the 954RRs (2003 and maybe some late 2002s) had a fixed light switch therefore you could only toggle between main and dipped beam. I've got the switch on mine (mines an '02).
The orange light is the HISS indicator?
Never noticed that sticker before but I do have it on my bike. And I even spent a very intimate week with my tank bogging, sanding and painting it :)
I don't recall when they trialed the hard-wired lights here but I think most if not all bikes are still hard-wired even now. Must've been the early nineties I guess as my '98 GSXR is but my '90 isn't. My '00 929 is hard-wired.

Did a quick search and it looks like it was introduced here in '92 and repealed in '96 :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts