Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction on this. A few months back I wrecked my bike. I busted my collarbone and got a nice titanium plate with 7 screws in it to show for it too. Now that I'm all healed up I ordered up the parts I thought it needed to get my bike going again.

I got it so it runs, but its having problems shifting. It seems like its hard to shift, and it sometimes gets stuck in a gear where it wont downshift unless I stop the bike and jiggle it really hard by hand. I had to replace the left foot peg and the left main step bracket after the wreck. The bracket was broken and the footpeg was bent bad. I thought that was all that was bent, but there must be something else bent. It looks a little weird where the part that the footpeg hooks to goes into the main step bracket. The little gap doesnt look even all the way around. Also the ends on the adjustable rod look offset. I wonder if that rod might be bent too. I hope I didnt mess anything up on the inside. I kind of doubt it because when it does shift, it goes in all the way, no grinding, and no popping out.

It seems like its extra hard upshifting from 2nd to 3rd, and downshifting from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd. Anyone have similar issues after a wreck, or any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think you may be right. If it isnt something bent in the rearset, then I think it has to be the shift shaft. Is that a diffucult/labor intensive repair? Looking at the microfiche at Ron Ayers it doesnt look like that shaft just slides out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah you probably bent the shift lever shaft. you ought to be able top pull of the right side case without splittling the cases and pull the entire shaft through the case after unbolting the shift lever. though that depends on how bent the shaft is if it will come out straight and true and easy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts