Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 02 954rr that just turned 16,000 mi. I have in hand an OEM CCT (yes I wanted to go OEM) and a valve cover gasket set. I also have a manual but haven't studied it in detail just yet.

Just looking for tips/tricks, anything I should have beforehand, special tools or feeler gauges that make the job easier? I have the short standard type right now.

Buttoning up another project ATM but this is next on the list.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Bike shouldn't even need a new CCT at 16,000 miles.

Nevertheless, the manual is sufficiently detailed, but this isn't a job for someone with only basic mechanical ability. Valve adjustment (which I presume you'll be doing because of having the valve cover gasket) is by shim, so, ideally, you'd need to have a range of shims at hand, or the ability to get them quick unless your bike is remaining off the road for a while.

For info, most owners report that on the 16,000 mile service, very rarely do valves need adjusting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Ive done cam swaps and valve work in other vehicles but this will be my first bike. I have read, on this board and others, some frustration with how compact the engine workspace is. The bike is put up for the winter so i have no need to rush. It would be great if no action was necessary but i still want to check anyways!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean i figured it would be a good time to do it. I know there are a lot of complaints on noisy cct's, $60 doesnt break the bank...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts