Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 02 954 with 35k miles on it. The miles are kind of high in my opinion. The guy selling it is just flipping the bike for a profit. He is asking 3000 for it. It has a steering dampener, power commander, and a micron exhaust. The plastics are also painted red. He doesn't know really anything about its history, but says its in good condition. Does this deal sound to good to be true? Or should I jump on it now?

·
Registered
355 Posts
for $3000 and that mileage it should have original paint and decals imo. my bike has 45k miles and runs great. So if you can start it runs well after it's warm it should be ok mechanically if goes through the gears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my 954 with almost 39k miles on it. Original paint and emblems minus the tail section stickers. Started up the first time, purrs like a, well....Fireblade. The better history you can get about the bike, the more you know going into it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
give it a good look-over. Is it a full exhaust or slip-on. Consider the value you're getting in add-ons too. No Power Commander? What kind of damper?

full exhaust, you're looking at @ $1K, damper another $400 (depending), so if those are parts you'd be buying for it anyways, you're basically paying $1600 for the 954, which isn't bad at all. The painted plastics worry me though. You could always strip 'em re-paint em and get new stickers though too. Assuming they're the original plastics and not destroyed and half-assed covered

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I am deployed right now and can't go look at it in person. I have a friend going to look at it tomorrow. It has a scott steering dampener, it does have a power commander, and its just a slip on exhaust. It's not that the color of the plastics bother me (they match my car) but the fact they are not the original and the guy doesn't know why they are painted is what worries me.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Unfortunately, I am deployed right now and can't go look at it in person. I have a friend going to look at it tomorrow. It has a scott steering dampener, it does have a power commander, and its just a slip on exhaust. It's not that the color of the plastics bother me (they match my car) but the fact they are not the original and the guy doesn't know why they are painted is what worries me.
that's what I meant. I meant if they were original and only repainted, it would indicate that they hadn't been totally trashed, indicating that the bike hadn't been put through the wringer. My friend just finished rebuilding his 954 after backflipping it and trashing EVERYTHING. He just sold it

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL U$3.000???
In Brazil CBRs 929 and 954 cost value R$25.000 (U$11.900) to R$30.000 (U$14.280)
I paid R$26,000 (U$12.300) in my CBR929.

I would like to live in USA....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my '03 with 28k+ on the clock...has almost 32k on it now, still runs like a top. Just look at it thoroughly with a keen ear and eye. Usually you can tell if it has been well taken care of. Other than some cosmetic issues on mine it's a solid machine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
exchange rate, tax, and import fees has a lot to do with price of bikes down in brazil. Depending on where you live, sport bikes are not really considered a common vehicle like in the US/UK. They are like a luxury for the rich. At least they are where my parents grew up not in brazil but country near. I would show people pics of my bike and they would think im a millionaire. If only they really knew how broke i was lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would prefer a "high mileage" blade that has been taken care of than a 10 year old bike with only 10'000 miles on (for example)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would prefer a "high mileage" blade that has been taken care of than a 10 year old bike with only 10'000 miles on (for example)
Nope. Not me. I bought my 2002 954 back in August. It had 5200 miles on it, the tank had some storage rusties, needed plugs and an FPR. Even with that, I'd still choose it over one even with 30,000 miles, and with service records.

Sure, a lower mileage vehicle could possibly be in worse shape than a higher one...... if it were abused. However, all other things being equal (i.e. maintenance, how hard it's ridden), mileage is mileage; mileage = wear and tear regardless of how you look at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts