Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone can list the parts and tools needed to do a full cam replacement. I already had a shop do the tensioner as I wanted it done quick, but since it's winter I'm planning on doing the full replacement myself.

So just curious since it's still tapping am I correct to assume that I need a new chain/guides?

If I only have a couple hundred miles on the new tensioner can I remain using that one since it's pretty much new or do I need to replace everything?

As well as the parts list what website would you recommend getting the parts from? I bought my brakes from bike bandit, but didn't know if there were other sites I should be checking for prices?

Lastly, should the shop that I had do the work have been able to tell when they got in there to do the replacement that the guides/chain were worn to a point that the tensioner alone would not solve the problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if its tapping it could just need a valve adjustment how many mi's are on it
Not according to local Honda dealer. When I bought the bike I had it in to have fresh oil put in since I wasn't sure of when the last change was. I had them check out the bike at the time and they said that it was the cam chain. I had asked about the valves as that was my first thought from my experience in cars, but they just gave a very positive cam chain response. Has just over 22k btw. Runs good and strong still, can easily keep up with a buddy that has an 03 with 15k less miles and as much as I'd like to think it's my driving skills :smilebig: . It just runs good except for that tap and I don't want anything breaking so want to change it while it's cold out. So if anyone knows the parts/tools list that would be great. I have the service manual, but would like to confirm parts from someone that has done it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts