Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just joined.

I ride a 2002 CBR954RR with about 31k miles. Has been running like a top since January, but today it randomly gave me trouble.

After riding in the morning, and sitting for a few hours, the bike would not start. Starter sounded strong, plenty of gas, and battery seemed good through multiple attempts, but the starter motor would just spin with no catch.
After a few tries, the bike would start right up like normal, but will only idle and run if the ignition switch is firmly pressed down. The engine will immediately shut off if I release the starter switch.

So now if I try to start it it will either 1) starter motor will click and spin but engine will not fire up. or 2) engine will fire right up but only as long as my thumb is pressing the ignition switch.

Managed to awkwardly ride it a mile to my house with my thumb pinning the ignition switch. Couldn't have been good for the starter but I had no choice, and it still sounds fine.

Some friends say it could be a bad starter switch, or a bad relay somewhere. I am not experienced with these kind of issues!

Please help!!!! Riding season is nearing an end here in Oregon. :crap:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey everyone, just joined.

I ride a 2002 CBR954RR with about 31k miles. Has been running like a top since January, but today it randomly gave me trouble.

After riding in the morning, and sitting for a few hours, the bike would not start. Starter sounded strong, plenty of gas, and battery seemed good through multiple attempts, but the starter motor would just spin with no catch.
After a few tries, the bike would start right up like normal, but will only idle and run if the ignition switch is firmly pressed down. The engine will immediately shut off if I release the starter switch.

So now if I try to start it it will either 1) starter motor will click and spin but engine will not fire up. or 2) engine will fire right up but only as long as my thumb is pressing the ignition switch.

Managed to awkwardly ride it a mile to my house with my thumb pinning the ignition switch. Couldn't have been good for the starter but I had no choice, and it still sounds fine.

Some friends say it could be a bad starter switch, or a bad relay somewhere. I am not experienced with these kind of issues!

Please help!!!! Riding season is nearing an end here in Oregon. :crap:

The ignition switch is where you put the key in, I'm guessing you are referring to the starter button.
While you are holding the starter button in, the engine revs normally?
I would have to guess there's a problem in the right switch cluster.
Nothing has been done to the bike since you last rode it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes starter switch, my bad with the terminology. Nothing at all has been done to the bike since I rode it last, never had electrical problems. Bike seems to rev normally when running (all while starter switch is pressed, because it won't run without it).
Only difference is I recently moved and the bikewas kept outside for a night or two, but all in nice, warm weather although it can get a little hot during the day (85-90 deg).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont have a 954 but on my 900 the start button is in the same housing as the engine kill switch. Maybe it got some water/moist in it when you left it outside and there is some sort of short or bad connection in the killswitch?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,117 Posts
The ignition switch is where you put the key in, I'm guessing you are referring to the starter button.
While you are holding the starter button in, the engine revs normally?
I would have to guess there's a problem in the right switch cluster.
Nothing has been done to the bike since you last rode it?
I dont have a 954 but on my 900 the start button is in the same housing as the engine kill switch. Maybe it got some water/moist in it when you left it outside and there is some sort of short or bad connection in the killswitch?

:plus1::plus1: I agree with both of these gentlemen. I would suspect some corrosion or maybe a broken wire in the right switch cluster. Take it apart and check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts