Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening Gentleman:

I bought a mint condition 02 954 about 6 weeks ago with 10,500k miles on it and I love it. But when I start her up she always makes this pinging/clicking noise for about 2-3 minutes during warm-up. The noise gradually reduces once the engine reaches a certain temperature point ( maybe 100 degrees or so). It still has a slight little clicking noise when I ride. The dealer told me this was normal and most, if not all, liter bikes sound this way that have fuel injection....

I would love the fellas who own (954 or 1000 cc) blades to help me out on this one. I am thinking that I got a bum deal but when I feel that RR horsepower I seem to forget about the click and enjoy the beautiful sound from my full Hindle exhaust.

Please advise!!!

THX,
RED RIDER 4 Lyfe

·
Registered
176 Posts
does it sound like its coming directly from your engine or maybe near the exhaust...?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi - don't worry about it. They all do that ,sir!

I've had my 954 from new in 2002. It's done 17,000 miles and started doing that after only a couple of thousand miles while it's warming up. I always run mine for a few minutes to warm it up before I ride it and the fast paced ticking noise goes away after a minute or so once the oil has circulated properly. It may take longer if you are in a cold part of the world. I've been told it's the valve lifters, whatever they are. They only come into effect while the engine is cold. If it's got a full service history, clean oil and it runs Ok it'll be fine. It's got really low mileage so just ride it and enjoy. Check valve clearances at 15k miles. Otherwise it'll run fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew, thats a big relieve to hear that from someone who owns a 954. I was really worried about the noise. I will make sure to keep an ear out for that noise and maintain a consistent maintenence schedule.

THX for the info.....

I still want to hear from others out there as well!!!

Thx in advance fellas:

-GATA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just another thought if you're really worried - It's probably nothing like I said but if it's coming from the top of the engine and it's a rattle rather than a regular fast ticking it may be your camchain tensioner. It's a cheap fix if it is. Also I believe the exhaust valve can get rattly on them but I've no idea what that sounds like as mine's always been fine.

Also, just curious- 100 degrees in 3 minutes? Are the US bikes temp gauges in Fahrenheit? Mine (UK spec) is in centigrade and it only ever gets to 100 degrees in really bad traffic and then the fan kicks in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they are in Fahrenheit but it can be switched to Celcius as well. My fans kicks on @ around 213 degrees.

Yeah its a fast ticking noise. I have also heard about the chain tensioner as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking here to have a set of Pilot powers put on today. I will have my mechanic take a look into it for me and I will post the results hopefully by the weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats up fellas:

I heard that it could actually be the chain tensioner making the clicking noise as well.....

Is this true? If so, how much would that be to be repaired?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gatabites,

Does the sound disappear or greatly lessen when you pull the clutch in? I have the same sound from mine that only happened after I changed the oil the first time after I bought the bike and put synthetic in it. It didn't make it before the oil change however I don't know what the previous owner was running in it. (dino or synth) On mobil 1 it was really loud, much less with Royal purple but it is still there.

Anyway the sound is only in neutral with the clutch out on mine so I am sure that it can't be in the chain tensioner. I a not sure what it is but I have heard that a lot of bike do it cold. BTW mine goes away at riding temps.

Just wondering what oil are you running?

Arthur

·
Registered
361 Posts
don't panic and waste money it'sjust your tappets merrily dancing away. it's normal. a worn CCT will only b audible when the bike gets up to about 6000rpms and it sounds excatly like a loose chain does.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Whew, thats a big relieve to hear that from someone who owns a 954. I was really worried about the noise. I will make sure to keep an ear out for that noise and maintain a consistent maintenence schedule.

THX for the info.....

I still want to hear from others out there as well!!!

Thx in advance fellas:

-GATA
If the bike has been serviced and maintained at the proper times don't worry about it. I'm on my third 954 and every one has had the noise you are worried about. One of my mates got his cam chain and tensioner replaced under warranty and it still made the noise on cold start untill it warmed up. Just a 954 thing I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THX for the advice fellas. I feel a lot better.

I have to get used to the sounds of the 954 fireblade. THIS IS A GREAT SITE.!!!!

-GATA

·
Registered
361 Posts
better slightly loose tappets than too tight ones. doesn't apply to the female species though. glad you happy bro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I doubt that mine is tappets or a CCT as it goes away when I pull in the clutch. It didn't make it before the oil change and it is less with Royal purple then it was with Mobil 1. I can't say that it worries me that much as it is only during warming and the bike has over 30,000 miles on it. I maintain it well and expect another 30,000 out of her. I baby her anyway with a lot of commuting miles. I always warm it up above 100 degrees F before riding.

I just found it strange she didn't happen until I used full Synthetic it her. I pulled the Mobil 1 out as it was really loud with that oil. Maybe I'll put dino in during the next change or the one after to see it there is a coorelation or if it was a coincidence.

Arthur

·
Registered
169 Posts
the clutch noise is the plates rattling around in the basket. normal unless it is real loud and then you might want to check if your basket is grooved.

the noise on the 954 is audible because of very thin castings for all the enine parts to reduce weight. open the hood of your car and listen, you will hear the same sounds.

·
Registered
361 Posts
synthetic oil is a very clean, free flowing luricant very unlike normal mineral oil which is guey and sticky therefore causing a lot of muck to gum up in your engine and thereby falsely making you think the engine is quiter. when you clean it out and put in fresh synthetic oi, all that muck comes out causing the motor to spin more freely and therefore more tappet noise. so you should put back some fresh mobil 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well with my bad experience.. My 929 started making that same noise kinda of a clinging noise like something was loose.. So i ignored it forever and then one day i was out ridding and my sparkplug had popped right out of the head.. so i go to screw it back in and the threads are all stripped out.. so now i know what the clinging noise was it was the sparkplug slowly backing out and messing up the threads...

so needless to say just to be sure (not that im saying this is your problem) just check the sparkplugs to make sure there in there snug..

·
Registered
60 Posts
valvetrain noise from a 1000cc m/c is nothing to worry about. honda's are notorious for a few different things. among them are reliability and high valvetrain noise (they are also known for being very well designed and thought out machines, having the best brakes, not having the highest horsepower which goes along with high reliability). anyway, the shim and bucket assembly which sits on top of each valve can "bounce" a little. this cause some clicking. even if your CCT is brand new you will still hear the timing chain going around the camshaft gear and sliding against the cam chain guide on the left side of the engine (just like you can hear the drive chain clicking away). you basically have nothing to worry about.

all the stuff said about the oil is also correct. synthetic oil is a much better lubricant for your engine. i would use the analogy of using Elmer's Glue versus KY jelly.

it's also possible to hear the injectors clicking away too. unlikely but if your concentrating on trying to hear clicking noises guess what? you're gonna hear clicking noises. it's all about knowing which noises are bad, mmm kay.

BadBrad, out!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts