Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newly registered to the site and first post here. Seeking some help or information about a problem I just started encountering with my 02 954 this past fall and will shortly be sending it to get diagnosed at a powersports dealer unless anyone has some tips or ideas of what it might be based on the details provided and these symptoms. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Starts strong and runs great at idle. No solid red light on the dash.

-After warming up takes off great, can ride through town normal with no issues, strong throttle response through gears.

-taking off on the highway still have strong throttle response up to 70MPH through gears.

-Once I reach 70ish MPH I start loosing power response and the bike starts pulling back even though i'm holding the same throttle position to maintain speed. Similar feeling like I have a governor device all of a sudden initiated and I have to pull back to doing about 60MPH. Giving any more power it does not respond like its choked off.

-About now when these symptoms start happening I get a solid red light on the dash. This has happened 3 times now I have pulled off at the next exit off the highway.

-After going about 1/4 of a mile off the highway the bike completely looses power and chokes off/ shuts down. Solid right light is still on the dash but bike kills.

-Ive watched the temp gauge and its not overheating and the bike does not smell hot. After it shuts off I have waited 5 or so mins and it starts right back up. The solid red light is gone and I baby the bike back home. Rides home just fine with no issues.

I read some other forum posts about how they have had the solid red light on the dash and there is also the text "Fl" on as well and they said it was a type of servo failing that regulates an exhaust valve and/or something around those grounds if i'm not mistaken. I really want to try and avoid taking it in if possible and getting charged 60 some odd dollars an hour just for a diagnostic. I am trying to remember if that "Fl" text came up as well next to the red light and I want to say I remember seeing that as well if that helps too.

Thanks again, would really appreciate and help and let me know if there is any additional information I can provide that might help out.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I would say get it to do it, but when you pull over and it dies, leave the key in the on position in neutral and put the side-stand down. If there is a fault code it should blink at you, but you have to be stopped, side stand down (I don't think neutral matters). You should get three long flashes and four or five short ones if it is the exhaust servo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RRDemon,

Thanks, thats a good idea. I was just super hesitant to ride around on it and make that happen again incase its doing any damage to the bike. But for example, just put the battery in a few mins ago and fired right up, no solid red lights or flashing red. Started up strong and let it warm up and idled fine.

I have seen others mention about looking at the flashes to figure out the error code however I have never had mine flashing, but I will definitely try reproducing the same event and try out what you mentioned to see if I get the flashing error code and see what it flashes I get.

Thanks again RRDemon

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hello, newly registered to the site and first post here. Seeking some help or information about a problem I just started encountering with my 02 954 this past fall and will shortly be sending it to get diagnosed at a powersports dealer unless anyone has some tips or ideas of what it might be based on the details provided and these symptoms. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Starts strong and runs great at idle. No solid red light on the dash.

-After warming up takes off great, can ride through town normal with no issues, strong throttle response through gears.

-taking off on the highway still have strong throttle response up to 70MPH through gears.

-Once I reach 70ish MPH I start loosing power response and the bike starts pulling back even though i'm holding the same throttle position to maintain speed. Similar feeling like I have a governor device all of a sudden initiated and I have to pull back to doing about 60MPH. Giving any more power it does not respond like its choked off.

-About now when these symptoms start happening I get a solid red light on the dash. This has happened 3 times now I have pulled off at the next exit off the highway.

-After going about 1/4 of a mile off the highway the bike completely looses power and chokes off/ shuts down. Solid right light is still on the dash but bike kills.

-Ive watched the temp gauge and its not overheating and the bike does not smell hot. After it shuts off I have waited 5 or so mins and it starts right back up. The solid red light is gone and I baby the bike back home. Rides home just fine with no issues.

I read some other forum posts about how they have had the solid red light on the dash and there is also the text "Fl" on as well and they said it was a type of servo failing that regulates an exhaust valve and/or something around those grounds if i'm not mistaken. I really want to try and avoid taking it in if possible and getting charged 60 some odd dollars an hour just for a diagnostic. I am trying to remember if that "Fl" text came up as well next to the red light and I want to say I remember seeing that as well if that helps too.

Thanks again, would really appreciate and help and let me know if there is any additional information I can provide that might help out.

RPM tells us more than your road speed. What RPM is this occuring at?
Have you checked the fuel preasure regulator vacuum hose recently?
Is the HTEV working properly?
Have you got a manual for your bike?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.