Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres a stumper for you guys.......I have a 2002 CBR954rr Fireblade....I leave my house, get some gas and go out on some back roads. Im just cruisin along and i start to smell gas, so i figure i need to get back to my garage and check out the situation...About 5-10 minutes later the gas light comes on and im still well into the country-side a couple miles from a gas station....5-6 minutes after the gas light popped on my bike completely dies on me..i pulled over and looked to see if the gas line popped of or something and all i see is a light stream of fluid mixed with gas coming from under the center of my bike....WTF!!! Does anyone in the world know whats going on with it or any suggestions?? After i got more gas in it i rode it home and it had less than half a tank and no dripping when i got it in the garage....HELP!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Lift the tank and check ALL the fuel line connections. Look at the banjo bolt connectors. You may need new crush washers and re-torque to spec. You may need to turn the key on to get the pump priming to find the leak. You got a huge one, that's for sure.
Check your fuel pressure regulator. Take the small vac hose off the nipple and turn the key on again to prime the pump. Any fuel leaking of dripping from the small nipple? If so, replace the FPR.
If none of those, check all the welds on your fuel tank real closely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you ever find out the issue? we are having this issue now and opened the oil and it smells like gas in it but we cant find gas leaks anywhere

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,552 Posts
did you ever find out the issue? we are having this issue now and opened the oil and it smells like gas in it but we cant find gas leaks anywhere
Hi Sonya, welcome to Fireblades.org. Give us some background of you specific problem. Fuel in the oil can mean that your injectors are dumping excess fuel into the cylinder, the fuel is washing the oil form the cylinder wall and getting by the rings (more common on a turbo'd engine), or the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is bad. Toss up a few pics as well, maybe we can see something you can't.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Like Ian says if you can smell gas in the oil there is a fair change the Fuel Pressure Regulator is gone (FPR for short). They are quiet easy to test too - they either leak or they don't so any leakage is bad!

I'll post up how later but in work right now! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts