Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read at least a hundred threads trying to fix the problem with my RC, but have had no luck. I decided to join this forum because I find that the replies to the threads are very helpful and usually pretty quick. So thank you all for your help!

Here's the issue:

I turn the key and nothing happens - sometimes.

When something does happen, my display comes on, fuel pump primes, and everything kicks on like it should. 12V everywhere until I hit the starter button. Then, drops to 4V from the fuse box to the ignition switch connector. Battery and starter solenoid still 12V. Even with ignition off, readings stay the same for a few minutes then goes back up to 12V. To speed up the "recovery" process, I can unplug my display, plug it back in, and I typically get my 12V back. I also have disconnected my rear tail lights because the voltage drops to 4V when I hit my front brake lever with the key turned on (this happens consistently).

Then, I can turn my key and nothing happens. At all. Battery still reads 12V. I could probably figure this thing out if it were consistent but I feel like its something different every time.

The first problem I found with the bike is my 10A fuse at the fuse box for the tail position and display ("meter, tail position") would not turn from ground to power and was shorting out the whole box. I did some rewiring so that, with a fuse in, my wire runs from the box to the speed sensor and to the display (2 wires at display). Now, I don't have a ground at that wire, but my issue seems to be "patched" - for now.

One last thing, if I turn the key and everything decides to come on, after the fuel pump primes, I can hit my kill switch (so that the engine won't start), and my starter will turn over as long as I hold the button. However, when I turn my kill switch on (so engine will start), it'll crank a couple times then die due to low voltage. Battery and starter solenoid still read 12V. 4V everywhere else.

I have Honda manual, including wire diagrams, and have checked everything I can think of. Two main fuses and all fuses in fuse box are good.

Sorry for the long post, but any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess at the kill switch being defective. I've heard that they can actually wear out if used all the time to shut off the engine.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have read at least a hundred threads trying to fix the problem with my RC, but have had no luck. I decided to join this forum because I find that the replies to the threads are very helpful and usually pretty quick. So thank you all for your help!

Here's the issue:

I turn the key and nothing happens - sometimes.

When something does happen, my display comes on, fuel pump primes, and everything kicks on like it should. 12V everywhere until I hit the starter button. Then, drops to 4V from the fuse box to the ignition switch connector. Battery and starter solenoid still 12V. Even with ignition off, readings stay the same for a few minutes then goes back up to 12V. To speed up the "recovery" process, I can unplug my display, plug it back in, and I typically get my 12V back. I also have disconnected my rear tail lights because the voltage drops to 4V when I hit my front brake lever with the key turned on (this happens consistently).

Then, I can turn my key and nothing happens. At all. Battery still reads 12V. I could probably figure this thing out if it were consistent but I feel like its something different every time.

The first problem I found with the bike is my 10A fuse at the fuse box for the tail position and display ("meter, tail position") would not turn from ground to power and was shorting out the whole box. I did some rewiring so that, with a fuse in, my wire runs from the box to the speed sensor and to the display (2 wires at display). Now, I don't have a ground at that wire, but my issue seems to be "patched" - for now.

One last thing, if I turn the key and everything decides to come on, after the fuel pump primes, I can hit my kill switch (so that the engine won't start), and my starter will turn over as long as I hold the button. However, when I turn my kill switch on (so engine will start), it'll crank a couple times then die due to low voltage. Battery and starter solenoid still read 12V. 4V everywhere else.

I have Honda manual, including wire diagrams, and have checked everything I can think of. Two main fuses and all fuses in fuse box are good.

Sorry for the long post, but any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Agree with Jon, kill switch is my first guess. The switch is not designed for regular use.
Is the charging system working?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts