Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this bike and first thing was there was no power with the key turned on even after replacing battery any ideas on where to start lookin?

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
under the seat.

download the Service Manual. it'll save you time & money.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
just "Google it" and you'll find one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
also the 30 amp fuse is kinda hard to find. If its the same as a 929 its under a red cap off the side of the battery and fuse box.
Sidenote: I had this fuse blow with a bad stator or regulator/rectifier. This might be the reason the person sold the bike. Its not a hard replacement but finding the correct one and not a cheap chinese one takes some research. I ended up buyin a used rectifier and its been fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at the main fuse and the others and their fine.... could it be a possible ecm issue? Like I ordered a Haynes repair manual and have the wiring and it doesn't make sense how the lean angle sensor controls starting and all and runs through the ecm but none of the starting stuff runs through or to the ecm maybe just me being slow but yea...

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Yes it could be an ECM issue. Do you have absolutely NO power to anything at all... as if there isn't a battery even installed :idunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have power to the engine stop relay but nothing into the angle sensor? But other then that it really does seem like there is no battery connected cause nothing turns on with the key like no dash lights or headlights

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
hmh. :hmm:

are both grey and blue connectors attached? (they're under the right side air duct near the radiator cap) if so, check the pins in the connectors as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are for the dash and lights and what not correct? Cause I believe they are connected but will check those out but I'm gonna try and do some function testing after the ecm just to try and verify 100% tht it's a ecm issue

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
They're for the whole front of the bike (where the BAS is also located). I studied the schematics a bit last night, and if you have voltage to and through the Engine Stop Relay, that's the next connection(s) en route to the BAS.

To be honest, I'd start stripping parts off the bike and go through the harnesses, connections, fuses & relays one by one. I had to do this to my RR2 after years of "chasing" elecrical issues. Now, all is good :shades:

Reactions: IanDoohan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have a look at it it's just between working 2 jobs and the home life and all those fun adulting things it's hard to fit time in but the was the next step was to strip the entire bike and start testing and checking and fixing the entire wire loom and all but doesn't do any good if the ecm is bad so I'm trying to figure out if thts the problem or not before

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
where in the world are you located? :deal:

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I'll have a look at it it's just between working 2 jobs and the home life and all those fun adulting things it's hard to fit time in but the was the next step was to strip the entire bike and start testing and checking and fixing the entire wire loom and all but doesn't do any good if the ecm is bad so I'm trying to figure out if thts the problem or not before
It is far more common to have a relay/fuse/connection/wire failure than an ECM failure. Although more timely to troubleshoot, far cheaper to repair/replace as well.

Reactions: MrPickwick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I have had starting issues with my 954, but have power. I hear the starter switch (the Red one on the handle bar) can give problems, this would be a relatively easy place to start, simply unscrewing and cleaning and testing for voltage will let you know. There are threads listed here "kill switch cbr 954"
as Unslow! states, there is no power to the ignition if the connectors, grey and blue are not connected. also check out about the elusive pink wire to the ignition for power testing, this is a security part of the ignition. Although I do believe you would normally get power to the fuel pump etc. Try pulling the two wire connector from the tip switch and jump using stiff wire from one connector wire to the other, when doing this you should hear the relay click to the right of the battery (when sitting on the bike) if it clicks, then it's jumping, try turning on the ignition then, then try the kill switch (having checked the grey and blue connectors are good, dry, and no green in there).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts