Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to pull the codes for the FI indicator? And additionally; my bike sputters like crazy around 1500-3000 rpm when under load; however is fine in neutral. Anyone have a diagram or picture of the engine compartment under the tank to see how hoses are supposed to be routed? I got this bike salvaged and it has a bunch of ghost problems. Oh yea, and I forgot; theres a cable running into the airbox that operates an air flap; the other end of the cable (outside of the box) was disconnected...where does this go? Thanks again! this forum is pretty much amazing. wooo!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
To read codes;
Bike must be in N
Kickstand down
Killswitch in RUN
Ignition ON

1 long flash = 10 blinks
1 short flash = 1 blink

The cable is pulled by a servo motor under the seat on the left side. This motor also controls the HTEV in the exhaust. Is it still there?

If the servo is gone/the flapper cable is disconnected, you MUST remove the flapper in the airbox since it will suffocate the engine at 8K+ rpm!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's how ya do it:
1. Make sure ign is off
2. Take off the seat
3. Short the PGM-FI system service check connector terminals
using a jumper wire (the red connector that is not connected to
anything, tucked behind the battery I believe it was)
4. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" and engine stop switch to "RUN".
5. If the ECM has no self diagnosis memory data, the
MIL will illuminate, when you turn the ignition switch to "ON".
6. If the ECM has self diagnosis memory data, the MIL
will start blinking, when you turn the ignition switch to "ON".
7. Note how many times the malfunction indicator
blinks, and determine the cause of the problem

What will happen is that the MIL light will have two types of blinks a long one (1.3sec) and/or a short one (0.5sec). The long blink represents something in the 1x-3x range and the short blink represents the single digit...i.e. you get 2 long blinks and 1 short, that means 21, 1 long and 4 short means 14, so on and so forth...

If you need the fault table to determine what the codes mean lemme know I can get you a copy of it.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to pull the codes for the FI indicator? And additionally; my bike sputters like crazy around 1500-3000 rpm when under load; however is fine in neutral. Anyone have a diagram or picture of the engine compartment under the tank to see how hoses are supposed to be routed? I got this bike salvaged and it has a bunch of ghost problems. Oh yea, and I forgot; theres a cable running into the airbox that operates an air flap; the other end of the cable (outside of the box) was disconnected...where does this go? Thanks again! this forum is pretty much amazing. wooo!
Is the dash light actually indicating any errors?
If the servo motor is missing or disconnected you will have a code 34 or 35 but it doesn't affect the bike _provided_ the flapper is open and the HTEV is one of its three positions.
The OEM manual has routing diagrams of the entire bike. If you aren't familiar with the bike you are going to need a manual.
Under 3000RPM the engine isn't designed to pull any load so you would need to be more specific. You need to remove the flapper from the airbox if it isn't being operated by the servo motor.
It is worth checking the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator is dry as they fail on these bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the dash light actually indicating any errors?
If the servo motor is missing or disconnected you will have a code 34 or 35 but it doesn't affect the bike _provided_ the flapper is open and the HTEV is one of its three positions.
The OEM manual has routing diagrams of the entire bike. If you aren't familiar with the bike you are going to need a manual.
Under 3000RPM the engine isn't designed to pull any load so you would need to be more specific. You need to remove the flapper from the airbox if it isn't being operated by the servo motor.
It is worth checking the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator is dry as they fail on these bikes.
HTEV isnt even hooked up; the harness was cut off by the previous owner and I have no idea why. This thing probably wont ever run right again I assume..It only has 4100 miles on it too...its a damn shame. Anyone interested in just taking it off my hands? It needs alot of little things; needs a new rectifier, needs paint on the tank and the rear tail section, some engine work I assume; etc. Its salvaged; looking to get $3000 for it, which is exactly what I paid for it. :idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
HTEV isnt even hooked up; the harness was cut off by the previous owner and I have no idea why. This thing probably wont ever run right again I assume..It only has 4100 miles on it too...its a damn shame. Anyone interested in just taking it off my hands? It needs alot of little things; needs a new rectifier, needs paint on the tank and the rear tail section, some engine work I assume; etc. Its salvaged; looking to get $3000 for it, which is exactly what I paid for it. :idunno:
The HTEV being disconnected is fine and doesn't affect the bike at all.
Did you check the flapper, HTEV position and fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
10 Posts
like to say thank u guys u gave me some really good info,i found the problem with my friends. 954 i was having spark isues, come to find out a bolt fell off the pulse generator.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Okay I'm having a similar problem. when i pulled the code it went like this:

1 long
2 shorter then
9 blinks

is that 39????

No, codes 12 and 9.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
By any chance does anyone know what codes 12 and 9 stand for?:idunno::huh:

You don't have a manual?
IAT and #1 injector.
Have you been under the tank recently?
If you have code #12 the engine won't start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's my buddies bike. We are trying to download a manual now. Yeah we had to go under the tank to disconnect his power commander, because we thought that was the problem originally.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts