Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am a little stumped and a little nervous at the same time, I just bought a 03 954rr, and everything checked out during the test drive, it goes through all the gear just fine, but The clutch cable is pulled all the way out which tells me the clutch is on it’s last leg, and the guy was trying to hide it maybe… but Whenever I go above second gear and start getting on it with the throttle, Not every time, but every once in a while it slips out of gear and goes right back in. Very fast too. I’ve only rode it a couple times so it could be in all gears but so far just 3-6. That’s kind of why I’m thinking more to the fact that it’s transmission related, since it’s only in the higher gears. But at the same time I’m thinking it be not making proper shifts since the clutch cable is pulled all the way out, because it engages at the very very end.. Really could use some advice or maybe someone has also experienced this same situation?

·
Registered
21 CBR 1000 RR-R SP
7 Posts
Your tranny needs rebuilding! I have two 954’s and have rebuilt both transmissions i undercut gears replaced forks and added a shift star. Usually it’s 2nd gear that goes. Sounds like the shift fork or the gears have rounded. Unfortunately you have to drop motor and split/open the case 😢🤬 the 954’s are prone to having issues with this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this is the thing… the guy that I bought it from has the clutch pulled all the way out because it’s the wrong clutch cable and it’s a bit long I guess. The clutch engages really late too when letting go of the lever… maybe this is wishful thinking but maybe it’s slipping? I doubt it would only slip for one gear though… this is depressing news I don’t trust my mechanic skills enough to do it myself and I don’t know of a good place near Tacoma wa that I could pay to do it, that won’t rape my pockets, let alone has time to take on a project like that..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s just in 4th gear that I can see for now. It slips out of gear and back down to third. Like I was saying no grinding no metal noises. I start giving it throttle in 4th and sometimes it will stay but majority of the time it slips back down to 3rd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey do you know what kind of gasket material I’ll need for stator cover? I know for the clutch side the factory uses Honda bond. Is it same for status r side? Or can I use paper

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's not that hard to work on the clutch on these bikes. To inspect the clutch just remove the cable from the actuator and remove the clutch cover. All you need is a 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding the pressure plate. Remove and inspect all the fibers and steels. If you decide to do this yourself when reinstalling the pressure plate the bolts holding the springs only need tightened to 8 ft/lbs which is very little. Most people set them way too tight and this will affect the clutch performance.

If the shift forks and drum need replaced it can be done without removing the engine. Only have to pull the engine if the gears in the transmission need replaced since you have to split the engine cases to remove the gear set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not that hard to work on the clutch on these bikes. To inspect the clutch just remove the cable from the actuator and remove the clutch cover. All you need is a 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding the pressure plate. Remove and inspect all the fibers and steels. If you decide to do this yourself when reinstalling the pressure plate the bolts holding the springs only need tightened to 8 ft/lbs which is very little. Most people set them way too tight and this will affect the clutch performance.

If the shift forks and drum need replaced it can be done without removing the engine. Only have to pull the engine if the gears in the transmission need replaced since you have to split the engine cases to remove the gear set.

So how would I do that then? Thought you would for sure have to remove the engine and split the case?

·
Registered
858 Posts
You only have to remove the engine and split the cases to change out the gears in the transmission. The forks and shift drum can be changed by removing the clutch assembly and oil pan. With the oil pan off you can drop the forks out the bottom. Its in my old write up in the link above. The link below shows the gearset in the last pic when you split the cases. If you split the cases its best to undercut the gears so you never have any more problems.

Do you have the service manual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is seriously helpful thanks a ton man! I’ll have to get I. There to check to see if it’s the forks. It’s just weird that’s it’s 4th gear since 2nd is the one that usually goes out first. But I’ll have a Haynes manual soon I just ordered one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts