Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, having a bit of a problem.
My 954rr just will not cold start in the morning but is getting fuel. I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, and fast idle wax unit; but still nothing. For a couple weeks I could push start it with assistance but lately it's been a no go. Slightly hard to start when weather is warm, but still starts, and will run great. On a side note, I do have an exhaust leak at the headers from broken studs. Any suggestions would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey people, having a bit of a problem.
My 954rr just will not cold start in the morning but is getting fuel. I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, and fast idle wax unit; but still nothing. For a couple weeks I could push start it with assistance but lately it's been a no go. Slightly hard to start when weather is warm, but still starts, and will run great. On a side note, I do have an exhaust leak at the headers from broken studs. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Checked the fuel pressure regulator already?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
bike has good compression, spark, and fuses are good. Am I missing anything?

You're not opening the throttle while starting are you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turns out the compression wasn't good on all cylinders; about 30lbs to be exact. Did a leak down test and was able to spin the engine around freely :\
the odd thing is, a week before it had about 160lbs of compression.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
turns out the compression wasn't good on all cylinders; about 30lbs to be exact. Did a leak down test and was able to spin the engine around freely :\
the odd thing is, a week before it had about 160lbs of compression.

30psi on all four?
Bent valves perhaps, but that would've been obvious during the leakdown. During the test was the air coming out of the crankcase, exhaust or throttle bodies? Have you checked the valve clearances recently?

I'm rebuilding one of the cars currently. It burned through the head gasket between two cylinders. Compression was 206, 186, 58 and 60 so it was fairly obvious what had happened. Got the pistons and rods out and it's probably fortuitous that the gasket failed as one of the rod bearings has been heavily gouged by a piece of something that's gone through the oil gallery. May well have had another 100,000kms in it, or it might've chewed the crank next week - no way of knowing for sure :)
310,000kms on the stock bores so far. Have to measure up the pistons and bores tomorrow and determine if I should bore it. Hopefully it just needs rings and bearings and I can fire it up over the weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Now that it has been mentioned mine is about the same. couple of mornings i have to bump start. but no i have not done my valves clearence check yet but in the near future.
So im wondering if this can be a issue.:idunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a spare engine i'm just gonna throw in and call it a day, I'd be cheaper for me, my bike is my only form of transportation.

@charles- whens the last time you checked the spark plugs/battery?
I heard the stock iridium plugs eventual cause the engine to start poorly over time, even though they're supposed to last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts