Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have an issue with my 03 honda cbr954rr it starts great when cold but as it reaches working temperature the bike idle drops then it stalls then & its very hard to restart when hot. I have changed the temperature sensor & camshaft sensor & the crankshaft sensor & map sensor i even installed different set of throttle bodies & synced them also. Am still having the same issue i even added an extra ground on the bike & it charges @ 14.5 volts & it doesnt idle below 1500rpm either some help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow ti, I'm experiencing the same concern as you and am at wits end. I have a 2004 Blade and she starts like a dream when cold. As soon as she reaches running temp or even slightly before and I switch her off, she refuses to start up. She will crank over fine, (no battery concern even including jumping), but will not take. I've changed everything as you have except the map sensor, I've even replaced starter, petrol pump, injectors and spark plugs. Sometimes she will crank over for 30 secs or more and then eventually stumble into an idle. Then she rides as if nothing was ever wrong, and then ooh don't switch her off, she'll just crank over and over. If somebody could give further advice, it would be really highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I suspect you've a bad earth or power feed in the loom. Get it gets hot the connection is too poor to get decent spark under cranking, but not bad enough to stop it running if its already running. Believe me, I have chased my tail on my 929 even to the point of changing the injector loom, spark/coil loom, all sensors, ran pressure test on the fuel pump, a workshop I gave it to replaced the FPR with no effect other than emptying my wallet! Mine would not start, sometimes every day for a week it would be ok then nothing. If i stopped when the bike was hot there was no chance to restart until it cooled, even then t might not start for ages. On only 2 occasions that I recall did it present itself when riding though, and it was stopping the bike revving over 4,500ish, as if there was fuel starvation.

This electrical fix was the only thing that fixed the problem! This orange connector sits inside the loom and corrodes like sh1t! I ended up cutting it out, soldering all the black/white wires together, and all the greens together, insulating it all and rewinding the section of loom with tape. The black/white wires feed power to the injectors with the ignition on, and each of the spark plug coils. The greens are all earths to various parts of the bike. It shouldn't be necessary but I did disconnect the battery before hand just in case of any shorts! This is a know problem having spoken to a couple of ex-Honda bike mechanics.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Machinehead, thanks for the advice, I will check it out this weekend and let you know what the results are, I'm holding thumbs. I've already checked so many things, there cannot be too many options left to check. If it turns out to be the problem, I'll let you know immediately. I appreciate the advice dude. Tx again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this when I first purchased my 929, I found the dealer had overfilled with oil in the service.

When hot, the bike was breathing oil up into the air box, it wasn’t a problem when riding but on idle it would slowly choke the bike out.

I drained 400ml of oil and never had an issue since.

Worth checking!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I had this when I first purchased my 929, I found the dealer had overfilled with oil in the service.
Bloody hell!!

I would have been fuming!!

Such a shame that many dealers can't be trusted.

My recent gripe was that after a basic service on my 2018 Blade, I got home and there was oil from chain fling all over the rear wheel and underseat. I complained to my dealer (they know I'm pedantic:angel) and was told: 'If we don't put a lot on people complain that we didn't oil the chain.'

Friggin' idiots.

I'd love to work in a restaurant where they go for their next dinner. I'd be flooding their plate with friggin' mustard: 'Oh, sorry sir. If we don't put a lot on people say we didn't prepare it properly.':devil

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s actually quite a sad story because the previous owner had it serviced, then sold it more cheaply to me because of this running issue.

It also had the engine management light on - dealer said it was due to exhaust servo delete and nothing could be done....the bike has a healtech servo delete and the management light was actually dead throttle sensor.

I’m always shocked at the work dealers do, but I rebuild classic cars and wouldn’t let anyone touch my bikes for this reason.

When I bought my s1000rr the seller said oh the oil sump is leaking. Fine, I buy the bike, strip it down....sump is fine, the dealer had smashed so much oil on the chain it was running down the front sprocket cover and over the sump in a black gooey mess. Guy had took it to the dealer and they diagnosed he needed a new sump.

Ridiculous really.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks machinehead for the info sorry about the late reply but work had me a little tied up. I had gotten a lil spare time so i checked the ground block which is located under the seat and it is, completely clean and free of any corrosion and all the wires are intact. I am still having this issue i just dont seem to understand why, but am still checking all wires in the harness to make sure i dont have any fried or broken wires. I have gone through the entire harness and it is good, no broken or fried wires, and i have replaced the igniton coils with brand new ones, and replaced the stator, and rectifier, and a new fuel pump but to no avail i am still having the same issue thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello there mattmk1 in reference to the oil level in the bike the oil sits between the high and low mark level. And i dont have a problem in which oil gets into my airbox because i have a custom exhaust, with htev valve delete and the air box flapper is removed and the pair soleniod valve is blocked off. And the bike has the servo motor taken out cause the gears where stripped so it has a servo buddy from healtech installed. thanks for the info mattmk1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
machinehead by the way i forgot to mention the bike has a lightweight battery installed with 230cca. And the airbox has the flapper removed, and the pair solenoid valve blocked off, and has the servo buddy delete from healtech installed, and a pc3usb, and it also has a custom exhaust i made that removes the htev valve completely. And the annitorri quickshifter installed also so basically it's a joy to ride but just dont know what could be giving me this hot start issue & stalling sometimes, any info would be totally helpful thanks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Did you find and check that orange connector block which is inside the loom? You cannot see it without removing the black loom tape and is all wrapped up and hidden. Whilst the other earths need to be good, the connections in this block need to be good.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
It’s actually quite a sad story because the previous owner had it serviced, then sold it more cheaply to me because of this running issue.

It also had the engine management light on - dealer said it was due to exhaust servo delete and nothing could be done....the bike has a healtech servo delete and the management light was actually dead throttle sensor.

I’m always shocked at the work dealers do, but I rebuild classic cars and wouldn’t let anyone touch my bikes for this reason.

When I bought my s1000rr the seller said oh the oil sump is leaking. Fine, I buy the bike, strip it down....sump is fine, the dealer had smashed so much oil on the chain it was running down the front sprocket cover and over the sump in a black gooey mess. Guy had took it to the dealer and they diagnosed he needed a new sump.

Ridiculous really.
I do all my own maintenance, dealers can’t be trusted to treat your bike with any respect, I make sure each year everything is checked, tightened up, the correct oil is used, all the fairing fastenings have copper grease on etc. The dealers throw the fairing panels on the floor and get an 18 year old to oil the chain and change the oil, that’s not a service.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
^^^

Yep, bang on. I use a dealer for by new bikes solely for the service book stamp.

Yes, I'm over-the-top, but for the good bikes any enthusiast who might later purchase will need this. I guess it's an expensive way of 'value adding'.:frown

·
Registered
834 Posts
hi guys i have an issue with my 03 honda cbr954rr it starts great when cold but as it reaches working temperature the bike idle drops then it stalls then & its very hard to restart when hot. I have changed the temperature sensor & camshaft sensor & the crankshaft sensor & map sensor i even installed different set of throttle bodies & synced them also. Am still having the same issue i even added an extra ground on the bike & it charges @ 14.5 volts & it doesnt idle below 1500rpm either some help would be greatly appreciated guys thanks.
Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? When the FPR is bad it dumps excess fuel into cylinders 1&4. If you changed the spark plugs was 1&4 darker black than 2&3.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hello guys thanks for all the input i tried everything so far & everything checks out fine. The last thing i did was check the valves & replaced a few shims that was out of spec but still giving hard starts when hot, so the next thing am going to try is switching the head from another 954rr i have & see what happens. Will keep you guys updated to let you know what the issue was & what i did to get it solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts