Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a problem with the charging system on my blade, its an 04. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Short version:

Mutlimeter test on idle as follows;

From reg 13-14 volts
From battery 11.7 volts
From stator 50v per yellow wire
Cleaned starter relay and still no increase in idle voltage

:idunno:

Long version:

After cleaning the bike i put her back in the garage, and went out the next morning, turn the key and NOTHING

So i bump started it, thinking that i left the lights on or something whilst cleaning it and flattened the battey. Got to petrol station about 10 miles down the road, and still nothing so i bump it again, get it home and do some tests on the reg and stator.. although im now stumped with what to do..

Getting around 50v from each yellow wire from stator

Test the positive out of the regulator with the neg on the battery acting as a ground and get the 13-14 ish volts.

Although when i connect to battery im getting 11.7volts?!

I have gone to the starter relay where i saw a slight corrision and cleaned it all up, and retried and still getting the 11.7 volts.

Anyone know of any other checks i can do to either cancel out parts being a problem or finding the fault?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
11.7 volts? Your battery is fubar'd. Time for a new one.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
11.7 volts? Your battery is fubar'd. Time for a new one.

I wouldn't go that far just yet.
I was running my 929 batteries down to 10.8V every race day but they still charged up just fine.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all,

Got a problem with the charging system on my blade, its an 04. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Short version:

Mutlimeter test on idle as follows;

From reg 13-14 volts
From battery 11.7 volts
From stator 50v per yellow wire
Cleaned starter relay and still no increase in idle voltage

:idunno:

Long version:

After cleaning the bike i put her back in the garage, and went out the next morning, turn the key and NOTHING

So i bump started it, thinking that i left the lights on or something whilst cleaning it and flattened the battey. Got to petrol station about 10 miles down the road, and still nothing so i bump it again, get it home and do some tests on the reg and stator.. although im now stumped with what to do..

Getting around 50v from each yellow wire from stator

Test the positive out of the regulator with the neg on the battery acting as a ground and get the 13-14 ish volts.

Although when i connect to battery im getting 11.7volts?!

I have gone to the starter relay where i saw a slight corrision and cleaned it all up, and retried and still getting the 11.7 volts.

Anyone know of any other checks i can do to either cancel out parts being a problem or finding the fault?
Can we assume you do have the stator and regulator connected when measuring the 11.7V across the battery, and the engine running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, cheers for the quick replys :)

The battery died so i bought a new one (motobatt) as ive only had the bike 6 months and didnt know how old it was. And also that i would have a spare if/when this battery dies

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can we assume you do have the stator and regulator connected when measuring the 11.7V across the battery, and the engine running?
Yes, all connected up.

I will add though as the bike had been started up while testing and not getting any charge, the voltages on the battery was around the same when the engine was off. - Thought i'd add incase this would effect the idle voltage (although i wouldnt of thought it would)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bad connection on battery, or a broken wire.
I've hunted around the bike and checked and cleaned the majority of the connections, and cant see anything broken and only one thing slightly correded (bit of green) was the connection in the start relay.

Although if there's any where else you could suggest looking?

Im sort of thinking / hoping you maybe correct though!

I haven't taken the tank cover off as yet either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

.500 (diode) when positive on regulator ground and negative on battery negative

14.5v on reg with positive on red and negative on green

11.75v at solenoid

11.75v on the solenoid (the bit behind the main fuse) with positive on red and negative on battery negative

11.75v with positive on positive battery and finding grounding point (bare metal on frame)

0.22v positive on battery negative and negative on regulator negative (green)
-0.22v when other way round on the above

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi I had the same problem on my old bike 600rr 03 which I replace almost everything electrical to do with the charging and of course the battery. the last thing I was going to change was the starter relay then it got stolen lol anyway now I brought a repsol 1000rr 07 and guess what it had the same problem with the charging battery so I ordered a starter relay and hey presto its running fine :thumb: by the way that was last year and all is well with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi I had the same problem on my old bike 600rr 03 which I replace almost everything electrical to do with the charging and of course the battery. the last thing I was going to change was the starter relay then it got stolen lol anyway now I brought a repsol 1000rr 07 and guess what it had the same problem with the charging battery so I ordered a starter relay and hey presto its running fine :thumb: by the way that was last year and all is well with it

Thanks mate, I'll try and find a way of testing that.

I stuck the red cable in the input of the starter and grounded onto the battery negative and got 11.7 volts, did you get the same on your faulty one?

Where abouts in uk are you by the way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't test it on the blade just though research 600rr n 1000rr the charging is the same even down to the starter relay! tested the 600 that had a low output,like I said that got nicked! I did as ur doin searching to cure i'm 99% sure it'll be starter relay:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers, i will have to have a look for one, problem must be somewhere between reg and bat, although thought I may have a volt drop somewhere, do you know where else the feed from the reg goes before it goes to the starter relay?

Ok, I'm down south coast mate :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
i'm not sure mate but everything electrical goes through that starter relay!bwt any idea when summers coming here :idunno:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok cheers, ill do some checks tonight.

Anything else you think i could check?

No sign of summer here either, just dark cloud and wind!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts