Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents, recently went down and bent my front wheel, forks, triple stem, ect. I've gone through and replaced everything except the wheel and my question is: Will a 04CBR600RR wheel fit on my 04CBR1000RR? I am mainly concerned about my rotors fitting, and braking ability. I plan to swap the old 1000rr rotors to the new 600 rim. Any input here will help thanks guys!

·
Banned
474 Posts
My kind of thread. Think the X and Y factors:

1. Axle:
x = Do I have the same wheel bearing ID or I check parts for the same numbers.
y = Will my axle OD fit onto/into the forks and lock the same way over the new axle?
= z I have OD and ID for either axle used... think.

2. Wheel:
x = Same WM ~ width of rim.
y = Same diameter ~ inch/mm of wheel.
= z Same handling characteristics.

3. Spacers:
x = Shows forks spread apart use the same spacers.
y = Or machine for new spacers.
= z centering wheel spacing is addressed.

4. Disc:
x = Diameters match.
y = Flat disc or stepped out carrier match.
= z Same bolt pattern at the carrier plate.

5. Caliper:
x = Caliper won't line up with the hanger bolt holes having a too large a diameter disc.
y = Disc is too short and a 1/3rd of the brake pucks touch when the pads wear more.
= z pads line up, caliper bolts line up, axle lines up, wheel centers up... Good to go.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The markings on the wheels are all the same, I do not have the wheel here with me to see if it will fit the proper dimensions. Just figured maybe somebody here has tried it lol

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
im fairly sure the 1000 has 25mm axle and the 600 has a 22mm axle. so at the least a bearing change would be in order, likely custom spacers as well. im not sure if the rotors will be a direct swap.

i bent the sh!t outta my 954 rim a couple years ago and sent it and my rotors to will's rim repair. he straightened it out to better than factory specs. the repair was 65 and the shipping was 20 each way. just wanted to mention it as an option for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im fairly sure the 1000 has 25mm axle and the 600 has a 22mm axle. so at the least a bearing change would be in order, likely custom spacers as well. im not sure if the rotors will be a direct swap.

i bent the sh!t outta my 954 rim a couple years ago and sent it and my rotors to will's rim repair. he straightened it out to better than factory specs. the repair was 65 and the shipping was 20 each way. just wanted to mention it as an option for you.

Not only is the rim bent it is also missing a small chunk. I think it's beyond repair. But it is good to know. I've seen some bent rims on eBay for the 1000. I could pick that up then send it off to Will's I suppose

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
also the 929/954 and cbr 1000 thru 2007 are direct swaps. the 929/954 spokes look a lil different and the rotors were bigger but have the same bolt pattern and offset. just to give you some more options when looking for used rims on ebay. i guess you could save a few bucks if you found a bent rim and sent it to will's. a new rim is 400$ish.

if your wheel n forks n tree were all bent its a good likelihood the rotors are bent as well. will does those for 15$ each plus shipping. thatd def save you some money over buying a new or used set. it couldnt hurt to send a pic to wills n see if he thinks he can fix it. i guess its a long shot but you never know.

https://www.facebook.com/WillsRimRepair/

http://www.willsrimrepair.com/

might try n call greens cycle salvage. they are one of the biggest bike breakers in the us. they might be able to help you out.

orville | Greens Cycle Salvage

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also the 929/954 and cbr 1000 thru 2007 are direct swaps. the 929/954 spokes look a lil different and the rotors were bigger but have the same bolt pattern and offset. just to give you some more options when looking for used rims on ebay. i guess you could save a few bucks if you found a bent rim and sent it to will's. a new rim is 400$ish.

if your wheel n forks n tree were all bent its a good likelihood the rotors are bent as well. will does those for 15$ each plus shipping. thatd def save you some money over buying a new or used set. it couldnt hurt to send a pic to wills n see if he thinks he can fix it. i guess its a long shot but you never know.

Wills Rim Repair | Bent motorcycle rim repair

might try n call greens cycle salvage. they are one of the biggest bike breakers in the us. they might be able to help you out.

So if I have a 929 wheel it fits on my 1000? Perfect fit? Do you know this based on experience or is this info available somewhere?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
not from personal experience but info from this site from trusted members. as mentioned i did a number on my 954 front rim, before deciding to send it to will's i did a fair amount of research just to see what my options were.

this is a copy paste from our main admin and top poster bladeracer.

"All 1000RR wheels to at least '07 are a direct bolt-on swap for the 929/954. The axles, spacers, cush drive, sprocket carrier and rear disc are _exactly_ the same parts (front and rear sprockets are also the same pattern). The bolt pattern on the front wheel is the same so you can run your 330mm 929/954 discs. '04/'05 run 310mm discs and '06/'07 run 320mm discs which you can also run if you wish.
I run '06 wheels on my 929."

if he says they fit, they fit. you would just need your 04 rotors as mentioned.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/75095-what-front-wheels-will-fit-929-a.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not from personal experience but info from this site from trusted members. as mentioned i did a number on my 954 front rim, before deciding to send it to will's i did a fair amount of research just to see what my options were.

this is a copy paste from our main admin and top poster bladeracer.

"All 1000RR wheels to at least '07 are a direct bolt-on swap for the 929/954. The axles, spacers, cush drive, sprocket carrier and rear disc are _exactly_ the same parts (front and rear sprockets are also the same pattern). The bolt pattern on the front wheel is the same so you can run your 330mm 929/954 discs. '04/'05 run 310mm discs and '06/'07 run 320mm discs which you can also run if you wish.
I run '06 wheels on my 929."

if he says they fit, they fit. you would just need your 04 rotors as mentioned.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/75095-what-front-wheels-will-fit-929-a.html

Awesome, thank you. Ill just get a new set of rotors most likely. but now that I know this Ill just get a 06 cbr1k rim from my buddy and put the 310mm disks on it. To stay within spec of my calipers. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
just did a quick check on the part numbers from ron ayers parts fiche, the 04 and 06 bearings and wheel spacers, including the center spacer are the exact same part numbers so that to me confirms the dimensions are the same. like you said youll just need to put your rotors on. and youre welcome. : )

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you wan't to use 320 or 330 mm discs just get right size spacers under the brake caliper. That's what Honda did with the 06-07 1000RR.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Wills Rim Repair | Bent motorcycle rim repair

:plus1: nice work helping out....I just sent this link to a friend who is doing a gsxr rebuild:thumb:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
:plus1: nice work helping out....I just sent this link to a friend who is doing a gsxr rebuild:thumb:
thanks!

my rim before:

it was actually worse than it looks, the spoke near that bent part tried to force its way thru the center of the rim. it had a nasty crack about 4" long on one side and was bent there as well.

he welded it and straightened it to tighter than factory spec run out all around. he also painted the effected areas and other than the weld bead you would never know it was damaged.

a friend of mines uncle owns greens cycle salvage and they are good guys over there. sometimes they have parts you cant find on ebay etc etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts