Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here. Figured I'd ask the experts (i.e. anyone who knows more about bikes than I do) what to do with ol' red that's a big paperweight in the garage.

Went overseas, bike was stored in FL garage. We had a wicked awful winter and condensation formed in the tank. Had the tank pulled and was told "worst tank I've ever seen", fuel pump is covered in orange crud and who knows what's happened to the rest of the system.

My question is this: Do I go and pay for a new tank (assuming tank and cover are integrated on the CBR 600) and fuel pump and hope for the best? (Unknown how much bad gas went through the system before it puked- someone else started it up.) Or should it be sold for parts? I'd rate my handiness level at about a 4 out of 10 and my checkbook at the same.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi! I'm new here. Figured I'd ask the experts (i.e. anyone who knows more about bikes than I do) what to do with ol' red that's a big paperweight in the garage.

Went overseas, bike was stored in FL garage. We had a wicked awful winter and condensation formed in the tank. Had the tank pulled and was told "worst tank I've ever seen", fuel pump is covered in orange crud and who knows what's happened to the rest of the system.

My question is this: Do I go and pay for a new tank (assuming tank and cover are integrated on the CBR 600) and fuel pump and hope for the best? (Unknown how much bad gas went through the system before it puked- someone else started it up.) Or should it be sold for parts? I'd rate my handiness level at about a 4 out of 10 and my checkbook at the same.
Replacing the tank depends on how bad the rust is, but I would first clean it, the pump, the rail and the injectors thoroughly. Replace the filter of course.
If the rust isn't too deep, spray the inside of the tank with a rust convertor. If it is deep you can get tank repair kits that coat the inside of the tank, but personally I would just get a replacement tank if it's that bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts