Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to come over to the Honda camp but I'm a little torn on which generation.

I love the tiny 08-09's, and the looks appeal to me. Obviously it's got a big advantage performance wise.

On the other hand, I've got to be realistic about things. An 06-07 1000 is still way more bike than I'm ever going to be able to really push, and I think they are the best looking (I don't want to start an argument over looks, and I know it's not "important", but I do want a bike that looks good).

Basically what I'm saying is that if I can save a couple thousand dollars and pickup a leftover 07 or a slightly used 06 without regretting the decision, that's what I'd like to do. But I don't want to end up regretting it and kicking myself. Is there any reason why I should sack up and go for the current gen?

Also, is there any significant jump insurance wise between 06, 07, 08, 09? One of my buddies says a slightly used 06 would be about half as much to insure as a new/leftover 08. Any truth to that?

I appreciate any input anyone can give me.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
This is really an insurance thread. You will get all kinds of opinions and the only one that matters is this.

Insurance deals with you. Your driving record, your age, your location, where you will keep the bike, how much you will use the bike, your credit rating, other policies that you have. It all comes down to you. So it doesn't matter if someone pays less. Your neighbor across the street could be considered to be in a safer area than you; so the rates would be less.

The conclusion; call insurance companies and get quotes and then make your decision. Insurance can be cheap or it could be costly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My insurance hasn't changed from bike to bike. I felt the same when I bought my 08 over the summer and could have got a leftover 07 or 06 cheaper. I'm glad I didn't get a leftover model for no real reason other then its new and it feels "new". I found after my purchase the 08's handle better. If you aren't using it on the track it doesn't matter. I agree with you on the looks though. Sit on them both and pick the one you like best, and can afford.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really only goto the track once or twice a year. I'm coming from an 03 R1 and I'd like to keep my next bike for 5 years or so as well. I'm comfortable sitting on both bikes but I haven't rode either.

Is the 08 that much of an improvement that I shouldn't bother with the previous gen?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an 07' and I would not trade it for the 08'. The 07' is a little(12lbs) heavier and may or may not lack a few HP(depending on the dyno), but it is a very easy bike to ride under any conditions(street/track). Also, the 06/07' has not got that reputation for burning oil like the 08' does. Nothing would piss me off more than buying a new bike with an obvious flaw, which the OEM would not recognize or fix.:mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I haven't riden the 08. But all I can say is.....I want my 06 to have ma babies I love it so much! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Not another one of these threads, lol.. Really you cant go wrong with either bike, I put 12,000 miles on my 08 before I sold it.. I kept my 07.. Really you cant go wrong with either..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Everyone you ask is going to love the bike they own. Weather its a blade, R1, zx 10... all the newer bikes have their good points. At the level that you are going to use it, it doesn't matter. What matters is what you think. If you pick the one you like now, you'll like it for 5+ years. I still like my 98' as well as my 08'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 07. What do you guys think I should be paying at this point? My local dealership is talking about 10K OTD, but I've been looking around the internet and see guys claiming to get them recently for as low as 8300 OTD. Are these guys exaggerating or should I be trying to get at least another 1000 knocked off?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know I can buy an 08' right now for $10200. (totally OTD) So I'd think if someone had a leftover 07' they'd be less then that. Depending if the dealer wanted to get rid of the bike and lose a little money on it, or wouldn't let it go for less then their cost.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got my 07' in January of 08' and paid $9600.00 OTD. It's a year later so I would offer $8500.00 and go from there. Now you're negotiating!!:evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the 07 has a little more seat area than the 08, as far as 12 lbs heavier, drop the oem exhaust and go carbon fiber and that should get you close to the same weight.

exit90a has a great point though, i bought my new 07 at the beginning of 08 and got it for 9750.00 out the door, saved big.......

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
back to the insurance company question....a lot of insurance companies base their bike rates off the engine size and a little emphasis on the year of the bike. So yes the 08 1000rr would be more pricey than an 06 1000rr, but it's not going to be double the rates.
but who knows, maybe it would for ur friend, and that's why you should shop around for insurance, i'm paying less for full coverage for my 06 1000rr than my roommate is paying on his 03 600rr with same deductibles

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
more inexpirienced riders wanting into the game buy 600s to start learning, they are more prone to dumping them of flying over a car hood....check the stats, 1000s are wrecked less than 600s, like 6-1

·
Registered
391 Posts
SixEight let us know how you get on. A mate of mine is in a similar position as you i.e. he cant decide between the 07 snd 08 model, although he's leaning towards the 07 because of the oil cosumption complaints that are going around.
Personally i'd have to second what 08silvercbr is saying, sit on em and even take them for a spin if you can....best of luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
08 all the way if you can afford it. The issues the 08 has I'm sure have been sorted out unless the bike you get is an early VIN. You may want to check that first. You won't regret it.

Why spend your money on the tail end of an outdated style?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just went through this problem myself. I chose the 08 because as the bikes progress this will seem like a newer bike for longer. Those 06 07's are beautiful but they have been that way for 4 years now, and you will see all the bikes getting rounder and smaller. For a bike i wanted to keep for a long time this helped in my dicision. Also for an experienced rider you can feel at alot of differance in the ride, no i am not saying i will blow the doors off the 07, cuz they are very close but ive rode alot and this one feels very nice.

If you go with the 07 leftover please dont pay 10000 plus, i have seen them with stickers saying 9500 OTD all over the country. Thats not even asking for less, good price on the 08 though, and by the way mine doesn't burn oil only rubber.

Either way you will not be upset, (unless you get a bad 08)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I went thru this decision last summer The dealer had a nice tastefully modded 06, brand new 07 over stock, and new 08. I almost purchased the 08 had the salesman writing the paperwork on it then changed my mind. I sat on both bikes and they felt the same. I was coming from a 929 that I loved and when I test rode the 06 it was heaven, night and day difference between the two. I went with the 06 because the wifes job was (and still is shakey) and it was cheaper. The big factor was the 06 was flawless, already had good frame sliders, a new pipe, integrated tailight, tank pad, custom back seat, fluchmounts, and a wind screen. I had all that stuff on my 929 and then some so I figured 06 cheaper plus less mods to have everything I had on my 929 vs 08 $2500 more plus I would have put more money into it. But I think the 06-07 blades look better than the 08. I thought back and asked my self why I didnt get the 08 but then I look at mine and look at the 08 and have no regrets. I think you like either one. if your coming from an R1 I think you'll like the increase in low end and mid range of the honda.... Good luck let is know what you do.:thumb: BTW The dealer by me was sellin the 07 for $9300 OTD

·
Registered
172 Posts
07 bought february 07 i paid 9699.00 OTD. if i were buying an 07 right now NEW i'd pay under 8900 w/ full extended warranty, helmet, leather jacket. otherwise it would be 09.

ps. i wouldn't take under $8900 for my 07 w/ 14,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts