Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friends with __z__, got the idea to put a 1000rr tail on my 929 from him.

I got a cracked rr tail off e-bay for $40 and plastic welded it with my $4 soldering iron (saving $160 from having to buy mint used tail).

Then I took my old 929 tail off and set the rr tail on and found the stock subframe would have to be altered.

Here's what I kinda want the end result to look like (probably not this paint job).

I cut off the lower support so then I could work on bending what remained of the subframe (the end) up to become a support.

Here's the first bend and how I did it (strap the subframe, use pry bar, and heat)... Obviously be careful when bending aluminum (it doesn't get red hot like steal) Hold constant pressure as you lift up and heat the area... don't use more heat than you have to and heat evenly.

Here's some seat support I made... riviting things in for now before I weld it all up... YES the bends are strong.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Friends with __z__, got the idea to put a 1000rr tail on my 929 from him.

I got a cracked rr tail off e-bay for $40 and plastic welded it with my $4 soldering iron (saving $160 from having to buy mint used tail).

Then I took my old 929 tail off and set the rr tail on and found the stock subframe would have to be altered.

Here's what I kinda want the end result to look like (probably not this paint job).

I cut off the lower support so then I could work on bending what remained of the subframe (the end) up to become a support.

Here's the first bend and how I did it (strap the subframe, use pry bar, and heat)... Obviously be careful when bending aluminum (it doesn't get red hot like steal) Hold constant pressure as you lift up and heat the area... don't use more heat than you have to and heat evenly.

Here's some seat support I made... riviting things in for now before I weld it all up... YES the bends are strong.

You are going to put a lower brace back in aren't you?
I can't imagine that setup being able to support a rider and pillion.
I made a single-seat subframe for my 929 and still used a lower brace.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally saw some 1000rr vents for less than $30 on ebay... got these for $12 shipped

Also got some sanding done on the Tail... just thought I'd stop mid-way through and show when enough sanding is done... I use 120 to get the clear coat off.

Speaking of body work... I bought 6 sheets of this 12"X12" ABS plastic 1/8" thick to make a new custom undertail and battery tray.

Lastly, I got my 1000rr tail light working... the little green dot above the tail light is my programable strobe flasher (when the brakes are applied it flashes a pre-set ammount of flashes at a pre-set speed)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A lazy biker would buy an undertail for $100. A normal wrencher would bolt up a flat piece of metal for an undertail. A wrencher who cares makes his own curved piece from ABS to weld it flush in place ;)

In the middle of plastic welding it on... I used 1/8" thick ABS because I knew I was going to have to do a ton of sanding to get the lumps out... plus it's nice and strong for an undertail.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Even welded it would be wonky... I'd either have to add another 1x1 aluminum (like stock) or use thin steel bolted on. The rulers were twice the size for half the cost compared to the 1inch steel.

One option took up more space, lots of time, and some more cash... the other is stronger, thinner, cheaper, but looks worse... it's all hidden anyway.

Got it painted, now just have to wet sand with 2000grit and clear coat and wet sand some more.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts