Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just sold my 02 954 thinking I was getting out of it all. Well, now I've got the itch again. Does anyone have experience with the 954 and the new 1000? Just looking for riding impressions, recommendations etc. How much more can I expect from the new model in terms of performance on the street? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Troy (Michigan)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can compare the 00 929 and 05 1000RR.

Not a huge difference in performance, from what I could tell...but the 1000 does have more power for sure. Basically, every aspect of performance is better, but not necessarily by a HUGE margin.

edit: Just read what I said...man, that was totally useless :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just upgraded from a 03 954 to an 06 CBR 1000 and the diffrence i can see is that the 1000 is even more twitchy on the gas when applied and at highway speeds you can definitly tell the power diffrence. The only thing that i miss is that it just seems like the 954 felt more at home in corners than the 1000 but it is definitly quicker out of the corner. But all in all it is a better bike hands down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:huh: Heavy Hmm nah i do not see that I will keep my 06 1k over any of the others and yes i have rode them. How did you wreck the 954 and what do you have now was it just so light it flew from under you?:smilebig:

·
Registered
381 Posts
yep, the 06 is little lighter then 04-05.

" How did you wreck the 954 and what do you have now was it just so light it flew from under you?"

bought it wrecked. fixed it. then wrecked it again. fixed it again.Now it's ok.

wind had nothing to do with it:thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
yep, the 06 is little lighter then 04-05.

" How did you wreck the 954 and what do you have now was it just so light it flew from under you?"

bought it wrecked. fixed it. then wrecked it again. fixed it again.Now it's ok.

wind had nothing to do with it:thumb:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check the stats. The 06 is not that far off from the 954. The 04 and 05 are the heavyweights.

Yeah but if you compare my 03 to your 04 1000 ,,not only stock does the 954 have a few more ponies it is also alot lighter. yes it took Honda 2 years later to resolve that and the 07's now are alot lighter and definetly back up in the hp range where they should be .

Not Picking on yah but i ride with a good friend from work who has an 04 1000 r and yes his bike looks better than mine,,but mine beats him in the quarter mile and dont know about top end,,havent gotten stupid enough yet.

Anyways my point is i ride his bike ,,,its nice but i perfer my 954 ,,,maybe next year i will trade up for an 07 1000 R,,,but for now I am just enjoying my ride.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I owned a 954 for 4 year's , Put 55.000 KMS on it , I thought It was a great Bike , I Now own a 2006 1000 RR , The 06 is Lighter than the 04 / 05 Model's , the 06 is a Much better Handleing bike than the 954 , Real Predictable in the corners unlike the Twitchy 954 , ( mine had a steering dampener on it ) HP is up I Dynoed Both of them Stock the 954 came with 134 rear wheel HP , The 06 Had 151 , I have now Modded the 1000 , Jardine Dual outlette , Powercommander , Flapper mod , Custom Map and got 165.4 out of it . The 954 put out 142 after Pipe / flapper/ custom Map and Powercommander. I also find the 1000 RR more comfy to ride on Long trips ,
The 06 1000 RR in my opinion is A better bike Hands down than the 954 , Although I wish i could of Afforded to keep it and own two Bikes :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
thanks for the heads up i agree with you on the long rides,,i did find my friends 04 even to be better ,,,I am sure your 06 kicks butt,,from everything i have read,,and seen. But i am amazed how the 954's still have a bad rep when there are so many other big guns out there. ZX14's , busa's,, F1's ,,and on and on,,but still the 954 has a rep and its old to the bikes of today. Course then i am an old rider ,,43 to be exact and i guess thats what attracts me to this bike. Its old with a rep. LOL

Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
03 Swanman
I am 27 and just purchased a 03 954. And I had a 06 Kawi ZX-R. And I have to say I love the 954's And I am not too old...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry ,,,Didnt mean its just for the old guys,,,lol,,,glad to hear you love your 954. I do too. I am just trying to convience the wife that i can keep this bike and buy a new one next year too. LOL oh well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No I didn't take it that way.....I am going to keep this one my self that way my wife will have one to ride by herself....And I get a new one also

·
Registered
178 Posts
No I didn't take it that way.....I am going to keep this one my self that way my wife will have one to ride by herself....And I get a new one also

See if i only could get my wife to drive,,,lol OH well and starting off on a 954 would be alittle too much but it would be nice. Its like you could have your cake and eat it too:eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts