Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 cbr1000 won't start. It is turning over fine and there is plenty of juice in the battery. I'd like to start with troubleshooting the ignition. I know there are a few cut-offs on the bike, but I don't know what they are or location. Can anyone put me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 06 cbr1000 won't start. It is turning over fine and there is plenty of juice in the battery. I'd like to start with troubleshooting the ignition. I know there are a few cut-offs on the bike, but I don't know what they are or location. Can anyone put me in the right direction? Thanks.

Well, it's either electricity or fuel. Pull a plug see if it's wet with gas. Then you'll know it's electrical, or if not, it may be fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't had it apart before, but it did start finally. it seems as though it may be the sidestand switch. when i move the sidestand to some positions it will start and in others it won't. there sounds like a crackling sound in the sidestand when swinging it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey guys i have a similar problem. its been a week now and it still wont start.

the problem started when i installed a HID light bulb on the high beam to compare it with my stock one. once I returned the original light bulb the bike no longer starts. console lights fade to black for a bit and nothing happens.

- 2006 CBR1000RR
- battery has plenty of juice because head lights and console lights come on
- all fuses are good including the ones by the battery
- i can hear clicking when i try to turn on the ignition
- i can smell a little bit of smoke
- jumped my car battery to the bike and it still does the same thing
- tried the starting it with the kickstand up and it still no good

its gotta be an electrical problem. im suspecting that the starter near battery is faulty eventh0ugh i can hear the solenoid clicking.

any suggestions would be nice. thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
hey guys i have a similar problem. its been a week now and it still wont start.

the problem started when i installed a HID light bulb on the high beam to compare it with my stock one. once I returned the original light bulb the bike no longer starts. console lights fade to black for a bit and nothing happens.

- 2006 CBR1000RR
- battery has plenty of juice because head lights and console lights come on
- all fuses are good including the ones by the battery
- i can hear clicking when i try to turn on the ignition
- i can smell a little bit of smoke
- jumped my car battery to the bike and it still does the same thing
- tried the starting it with the kickstand up and it still no good

its gotta be an electrical problem. im suspecting that the starter near battery is faulty eventh0ugh i can hear the solenoid clicking.

any suggestions would be nice. thanks.
The headlights and console lights working does not mean you have enough amps to start. However, assuming that you did make sure you had good contact on the jumper cables, turn on the ignition and bridge the two terminals on the starter relay manually and see if the bike starts then.

Best thing to use is an insulated pair of channel locks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
if your hear a clicking, that means the battery is either low, or the connections to the battery aren't tight; I've had this same problem before

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks for the tips guys. it turned out to be a defective battery. I was getting 12.37vdc but when you measure load across the battery there was not enough amperage.

Luckily I had a MegaBoost battery which means it has a standard lifetime warranty. Cycle gear gave me a brand new one free of charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem. I drove the bike the night before nad when I tried to started it the next morning, no luck. The engine turn over and I can smell fuel but nothing else. It shoulds the same as if the engine stop switch is on.

Hope the is some one that can help.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Could be the starter relay when you turn the engine over you should hear a clicking, check the fuse first. Manual is a must for these types of things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bike is now at the work shop I was told the key is faulty. The dealer told me I can not get a duplicate key! He wants to replace the ignition and the module for 19000 rands. Is there a way to get a duplicate key?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts