Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a 2007 Cbr 1000rr with about 13,000 on it and notice that I got a leaky fork seal on the front left fork? In never ride wheelies for the fear of this happening! However I do travel down a good quarter mile or better dirt and gravel driveway (that's not to harsh, however, rougher than concrete)to the main road. As well I do have a tendency to really late brake and push it hard into corners. I’m not sure if this is the reason for this, or if these things just happen! I’ve had new brake pads put on the other day (just front) but I don’t think that this is, or could be the reason for any of these problems.
I called the Honda shop about replacement of the seals, for both forks about $270.00. If anyone could tell, (or any information would be helpful and really appreciated) if there is seals that I might want to consider that may be better than stock replacement! And while I’m doing this, or, having this done. Is there any upgrades that I could do that would benefit the bike. Would stiffer fork springs be an option? Is stiffer fork springs something that I can have done while having the fork seals redone. Or is that more involved? And would lighter fork oil be a better route to take other than what they might use as stock replacement. I don’t have a whole lot to spend, but if it something that they can do while they are there I might consider going ahead with it. Would it make a noticeable difference? I know that you can spend a chunk on front end mods. If anyone has any input they would like to share on the things that I could do that I might or want to consider. That also would be a worthwhile investment it would be much appreciated! Thanks Nolo

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I’ve got a 2007 Cbr 1000rr with about 13,000 on it and notice that I got a leaky fork seal on the front left fork? In never ride wheelies for the fear of this happening! However I do travel down a good quarter mile or better dirt and gravel driveway (that's not to harsh, however, rougher than concrete)to the main road. As well I do have a tendency to really late brake and push it hard into corners. I’m not sure if this is the reason for this, or if these things just happen! I’ve had new brake pads put on the other day (just front) but I don’t think that this is, or could be the reason for any of these problems.
I called the Honda shop about replacement of the seals, for both forks about $270.00. If anyone could tell, (or any information would be helpful and really appreciated) if there is seals that I might want to consider that may be better than stock replacement! And while I’m doing this, or, having this done. Is there any upgrades that I could do that would benefit the bike. Would stiffer fork springs be an option? Is stiffer fork springs something that I can have done while having the fork seals redone. Or is that more involved? And would lighter fork oil be a better route to take other than what they might use as stock replacement. I don’t have a whole lot to spend, but if it something that they can do while they are there I might consider going ahead with it. Would it make a noticeable difference? I know that you can spend a chunk on front end mods. If anyone has any input they would like to share on the things that I could do that I might or want to consider. That also would be a worthwhile investment it would be much appreciated! Thanks Nolo
Stick with OEM seals and the recommended oil weight.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The seals are somewhere between 5-6 years old, it's not unusual for them to start leaking. Just par for the course.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The seals are somewhere between 5-6 years old, it's not unusual for them to start leaking. Just par for the course.
is it time or miles that kill the seals first? im getting ready to pick up a 07 1Krr with 4500 miles. should i be looking to replace them in the near future just due to the age?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
is it time or miles that kill the seals first? im getting ready to pick up a 07 1Krr with 4500 miles. should i be looking to replace them in the near future just due to the age?

I think lack of use is the main problem as it allows the forks to pit and the seals to dry out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think lack of use is the main problem as it allows the forks to pit and the seals to dry out.
That's true. The seals will be more likely to become dry and rigid with idle time. The lack of use does not allow for the oil in the forks to condition the seals as it would do while you were riding. I had this happen on a bike that I bought from someone who was deployed and it sat with less than 100 miles for 4 years. I had to replace the forks before I got to 1000 miles because of this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts