Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 08 has a little over 2000 miles on it. Left front brake locked up at 65mph.Has anyone heard of this problem. if not why abs on 09

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
ABS is an option on the '09 and only on one color.

I have not heard of any brake failure on the '08; you are the first.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The front locked up completely? Like locked up locked up. Good to hear you are ok. How did you manage to control the bike with the fronts locked at that speed?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Did it unlock when it cooled down?
I have heard of brake drag problems on the '08 and locking up as the disc and pads get hot from drag would be a possible result.
My GSXR750 locked up solid at about 45mph. The bike simply came to a very sudden stop as the system expanded due to heat from severe drag. No danger other than lack of steering and potentially being run down by other vehicles. I had to crack a bleed nipple to unlock the wheel to push it off the road before riding it home with the front brake disconnected.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Please tell us more about the incident. Eg: were you applying brakes, did you go down, how did you release it and how did you know what side? Doesn't sound real pretty at that speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
left side only locked. I went limp while rolling to minimize injury. Rolled on then off the ground 4 ft then proceded with the big slide. all I can say is angels & leather. PS did not touch the front brake.....!?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
PS did not touch the front brake.....!?
Do you mean it locked without any input from you?

That's the same as the incident I mentioned above.
I'd left a set of lights about 400 meters beforehand and the bike simply came to a sudden stop with nothing to indicate any problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow . what is the status of the bike, what is Honda saying about it, and had you done any improvments on the front brakes or was it all stock. Man Im glad thats all that happened what if your budy on another bike was right behind you and you were going faster it could have been alot worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you had the front wheel off for any reason(the reason I ask is that the calaper bolts must be changed every time as they are stretch bolts).What type of condition are the pads in?

·
Registered
287 Posts
left side only locked. I went limp while rolling to minimize injury. Rolled on then off the ground 4 ft then proceded with the big slide. all I can say is angels & leather. PS did not touch the front brake.....!?
I don't know how the front brakes route on the '08. I do know a (very) common cause of brakes locking up with no input is they need a bleed.

Couple of things: How long has the bike been in service (time, not distance)? Brake fluid is designed to absorb water, so age can be a factor even if the bike has low miles..

Were you doing any heavy braking prior to the lockup? If so, this could've lead to your problem.

When there's air in the system, it'll expand much more than the brake fluid (which gets VERY hot). As the air heats up, it causes the pad to start pressing against the rotor, causing more friction and more heat and more pressing. So, you could've been dragging the pad along lightly for some time without even realizing it, until it finally started clamping down and "locked up"...

·
Registered
253 Posts
When there's air in the system, it'll expand much more than the brake fluid (which gets VERY hot). As the air heats up, it causes the pad to start pressing against the rotor, causing more friction and more heat and more pressing. So, you could've been dragging the pad along lightly for some time without even realizing it, until it finally started clamping down and "locked up"...
I must say I've never come across this before, in my experience, if there is air in the system the brakes would have felt spongey prior to the incident. Hot air will expand, but in the same token air compress, where hydraulic fluid cant.

I would put it down to pure mechanical failure..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad to here your ok mate sounds like it could have been a lot worse, Sorry cant help with what caused it but keep us informed of anything you find out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work in the brake caliper factory for honda as a technician. We have had problems with water being absorbed in the brake fluid before and causing problems. There was no air in the system for sure an automated machine bleeds out the whole assembly but there is a possibilty of water in the system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts