Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am sure there is a thread somewhere on the site but was wondering what some of you are using for set up on the new blade. I have a couple of thousand miles on mine now and have been making some adjustments. I rode if for the first thousand miles as it came from the dealer on the standard Honda settings.
The bike works very well but I found it to be a bit harsh over bumps, specialy in fast bumpy corners it would skip around a bit... even had me out the seat a couple of times on the straight over decent bumps.. it never did anything nasty but I have ridden better.
I have been slowly setting it softer, less preload front and rear..less comp damping... now I find its a bit wallowy but still has a harsh hit over poor roads, so i think I may go back to the stock settings. The sag numbers look fine.
I am 185 in gear and 5'-10" so pretty average.. fast street use only through our backroads..dry canyons.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
467 Posts
The suspension on your bike does not provide adjustment of high speed compression. "High speed" does not refer to the speed of the bike(MPH), instead it describes the type of bump and the speed of the suspension compression stroke. Rough roads and sharp edged bumps affect the high speed compression, so there is little you can do. Some late model bikes are available with high and low speed compression adjustment, and the better aftermarket suspension systems also have this feature. Hondas have suffered from excessive high speed compression for many years and need to upgrade to the high/low settings.

From Motorcyclist..."Bumps come in all shapes and sizes, so the suspension needs different damping rates at different times. When you twiddle an adjuster, you are controlling only the low-speed damping--that is, the control exerted inside the shock or fork over large, rolling kinds of bumps, or during braking and acceleration. Except for a few high-end shocks, you do not have any control over high-speed damping, which comes into play when the tires ride over closely spaced, rippled bumps. Remember, it's the speed of the suspension component we're talking about here, not the velocity the bike is traveling over the ground."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi exit90a, That all makes perfectly good sense... over slow bumps the susp is quite plush..but soon as you hit the short harsh bumps it drives them right through the bike... I had a Ducati 999S with full Ohlins before this so what you are saying is true to this too..it used to soak up most anything..that high end hardware does make a difference... the Blade however feels so much more fun to ride than the Duc.. on the Blade I am looking for every excuse to use it.. from down the shops at the end of the road to 200 miles Sunday afternoon...
Thanks for your input...

I still am a bit mystified how I have gone through a front tire in under 2000 miles however.. on all my previous bikes the front will go through two rears nearly...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts