Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

08 cbr1000rr top speed

17K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  db1krr 
#1 ·
So im making this thread cuz i have an 08 cbr 1k has irc pcv at slip on filter flapper and pair mod, i hit 185mph quite easily and from that point on my rpms keep climbing to redline then just top out, my question is, is there anything i can do to make it go any higher since u can shift at 13.5 rpm in every gear. If i unplug my speed sensor would that help and will anything else be effected?

#5 ·
I do know that in the nc23/29 models, the restrictor is in the speedo. There is a small metal disc which when crosses the path of a laser (180kph) this acts as the restrictor and will cause the bike to not exceed this speed. This is why many people either remove this disc or add a kph-mph converter so that the restriction kicks in at 180mph as opposed to kph, which in the 400's is impossible to hit - therefore unrestricting the bike all together.

#6 ·
I know the majority of sports bikes, including the 1000 are limited to 186mph (300 kph) so in my opinion, the only way you would get faster is take her down a steep hill, with a tail wind - or add NOS ;)

#8 ·
Open the speedo, if it is there, you will see a small metal disc behind the 185mph (300kph) mark. Remove this disc very carefully with tweezers or a thin knife.

Again, I'm not certain if this applies to your bike but you could have a look.

Are your clocks mph or kph?

#11 ·
Might wanna take a look at the rules bud, don't mean to be a spoil-sport but we don't necessarily promote riding @ 185 on public roads, be it at 1 a.m. or not. Just a suggestion :smilebig:

Site Rules:

8:

1. We have no tolerance for street stunters, street racers, or anyone else who gives motorcyclists a bad image. There are proper places for that type of thing, and a public street isn't one of them. Posting material which could reasonably be construed as celebrating or defending these types of activities will cause you to be flamed, and will probably cause you to be banned. Further, even if done in a controlled environment, FireBlades.org is not the place to discuss stunting tips, tricks, or techniques. There are plenty of other sites that cater to stunting, so please take those types of discussions elsewhere.

#13 ·
It's not the other cars you need to worry about. At high speeds you could have a blow out (as I did) or if an animal runs in your path, a chain breaks, a blown engine or a high speed wobble (been there too but at lower speeds) any of those conditions and a few more that I forgot, would make some of your friends and family miss you.
Take it to the track.

#15 ·
Top speed is "limited" by the ignition system. Timing advance in 6th at X RPMs. I have heard bikes have gone higher speeds in 5th gear due to this, as 5th gears spark map does not have the same plateau.

It is also programed NOT to display more than 186 (not that the speedo is accurate.) while the speedo reads 185 or w/e at 12.3 but still climbs to 13. that is speedo error margin. The speedo doesn't effect the "limit" at all. Disconnecting the speed sensor will do nothing.

For that truely "as is" thing....There is the remote possibility of cracking the stock ecu. But it is rare and difficult with Honda's ecu's, (well programed, and it is a process...supposedly.)

Cheapest solution is piggy backing with custom tuned pcIII/V and pc ignition modules. And for your speedo, a GPS unit. ;)

#17 ·
I agree Speedos are incorrect by ><10% at times, but GPS units are not accurate either!

Best way to clock your speed as accurately as possible is ride as hard as you can past a police station and I guarantee within an hour a nice man will knock on your door and tell you the EXACT speed in which you were travelling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.