Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! First of all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this... now:

My 08 fireblade's manual says I should only use the following recommended Dunlops (not focusing on the also recommended Bridgestone tyre model because Dunlop is cheaper here):

front tyre:
measures: 120/70ZR17M/C(58W)
Model: Dunlop Qualifier PTK

Rear tyre:
measures: 190/50ZR17M/C(73W)
Model: Dunlop Qualifier NK

I've checked out some shopping websites and they also say that these tyres are especially made for the 08 fireblade.
At the moment, my bike has both the tyres above and I'm aiming to replace the rear tyre only (no more $$...)
1 - At Dunlop's website, they say this: "Do not mix these radials with other radials or non-radials, fit only in pairs." --> What exactly do they mean by this? Do they mean that I should choose the NK tyre because I have the PTK at the front already? If not, what does it mean then?

2 - Another thing: To which extent are Sportmax Qualifier tyres different? There's a huge variety of them: "Sportmax Qualifier NK; Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier II (is this the Sportmax Q2?); Sportmax Qualifier II; Sportmax Qualifier RR; Sportmax Qualifier"; and other sportmax tyres...

I'm a little confused by all these different Sportmax Qualifier Models:

so:

3 - Are they all equally adequate for using in my 08 fireblade? Or is the Sportmax Qualifier NK the ideal choice since it's recomended in the manual?
4- If they are all equally adequate what is the difference between them? Date? purpose? Bike type?
5 - When Dunlop says: "Do not mix these radials with other radials or non-radials, fit only in pairs." does this mean I should only use the NK model since I have the PTK model at the front?
6 -Which model of Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop and Continental or other brands would you put in an 08 Fireblade?

Sorry for all these questions, just ignore number 2 and number 6 if it's too much. :D

Thank you very much! :clap:

Vitor

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Any Dunlop Qualifier or Qualifier 2 (Q2) is fine. Those numbers after like the NK just designate the OEM spec tire. Nobody replaces them with that exact tire but if you ordered it from a Honda dealer you may be able to get one but no doubt, major coin.

You can leave your front and just replace the rear. Basically the same tire. The Q2 is their new version of the Qualifier or D209. Sportmax is just a general term used on many of Dunlop's performance tires. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any Dunlop Qualifier or Qualifier 2 (Q2) is fine. Those numbers after like the NK just designate the OEM spec tire. Nobody replaces them with that exact tire but if you ordered it from a Honda dealer you may be able to get one but no doubt, major coin.

You can leave your front and just replace the rear. Basically the same tire. The Q2 is their new version of the Qualifier or D209. Sportmax is just a general term used on many of Dunlop's performance tires. Hope this helps.
Your answer was very helpful! Thank you very much! I'll choose the Qualifier 2. Your answer was especially helpful in the way that you saved me the trouble to get a matched front tire as fast as I could. :) I was kind of not knowing if I would get the Bridgestone BT016r or the Dunlop Qualifier 2 but knowing this also made choose the Q2.

Thank you very very much! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
First Off, just speaking from experience here, the stock Dunlop qualifiers are pure trash as far as performance tires are concerned. The Q2's are better but not worth the coin imo when you can get Bridgestone BT-003s as cheap as they are going for right now.

The stock qualifiers have terrible feel when you start getting over on the edge of the tire even when you drop the pressure from the "recommended" 42 PSI to something more sensible like 32 PSI.

I am running Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs at the moment since Ive never tried them out (been a Pirelli man) and they are light years better than qualifiers even if they get a little squirrely if you are heavy handed in a deep lean turn. My next set of rubber will be the Bridgestone BT 003's with a 55 profile instead of the 50 for a faster drop in.

So if you are replacing the rear you might as well get the BT 003 front and rear, I've seen some deals where you can get the pair for less than just the rear Pilot Power One's, just throwing it out there since you wont get the performance the bike is capable of on the stock rubber (unless you only ride on superslab freeways).

Heres an example of the kinds of prices you can find if you look around:
BRIDGESTONE BT-003 RS TIRES SET

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First Off, just speaking from experience here, the stock Dunlop qualifiers are pure trash as far as performance tires are concerned. The Q2's are better but not worth the coin imo when you can get Bridgestone BT-003s as cheap as they are going for right now.

The stock qualifiers have terrible feel when you start getting over on the edge of the tire even when you drop the pressure from the "recommended" 42 PSI to something more sensible like 32 PSI.

I am running Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs at the moment since Ive never tried them out (been a Pirelli man) and they are light years better than qualifiers even if they get a little squirrely if you are heavy handed in a deep lean turn. My next set of rubber will be the Bridgestone BT 003's with a 55 profile instead of the 50 for a faster drop in.

So if you are replacing the rear you might as well get the BT 003 front and rear, I've seen some deals where you can get the pair for less than just the rear Pilot Power One's, just throwing it out there since you wont get the performance the bike is capable of on the stock rubber (unless you only ride on superslab freeways).

Heres an example of the kinds of prices you can find if you look around:
BRIDGESTONE BT-003 RS TIRES SET[/

Thanks very much for the advice The Gerd, though I already got the Q2 rear tyre. Also I won't be riding on circuit, as the last time I did it, I practically destroyed a set of tyres in just one day. Way too expensive for me :(
I'll be riding these on cold and humid roads or dry and hot roads, but always without pushing the bike too much on lean angles. I'll only be doing some hard braking and accelerating with moderate leaning :)

For this type of use, what tyre would you recommend? (just out of curiosity)

Also, where I live, unfortunately, I don't get great deals like that (2 for the price of one, not that I know of at least). In that track day I was actually given a great deal but that was a limited time offer. the motorcycle commerce is a little limited here :p Next time I've got to check other possibilities (ordering overseas etc) in advance... :smilebig:

Thank you very much!
Vitor

ps. I don't know what I did but I didn't get the quote to work well. Maybe I replied in the wrong place :p

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
First, asking about tires is very subjective, however you may want to consider a Dunlop RoadSmart for longer wear if you don't need the high performance aspect as much. Go to Dunlop's fitment guide at their website. The Qualifier 2 has unbelievable reviews so far from a purely performance standpoint.

Since the Q2 is new, I don't have any experience with it but the Qualifiers I run now, other than fast wearing, grip like crazy. Both tires in my mind are very good. A set of Q2's are on their way for me.

·
Registered
552 Posts
personaly i dont like dunlops, they where on my 954 when i bought it and they where crap. took a long time to warm up and after riding for a bit the grip they had went away. the bridgestones where better but wore out fast. for the last few years i have been running the metzlers m3 best tires i have ever run love them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, asking about tires is very subjective, however you may want to consider a Dunlop RoadSmart for longer wear if you don't need the high performance aspect as much. Go to Dunlop's fitment guide at their website. The Qualifier 2 has unbelievable reviews so far from a purely performance standpoint.

Since the Q2 is new, I don't have any experience with it but the Qualifiers I run now, other than fast wearing, grip like crazy. Both tires in my mind are very good. A set of Q2's are on their way for me.

Yeah Denzee, I was just reading this article Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Product Review - Sportbike Tires Review - Motorcycle USA and they really value the Q2 :)

I mean, I don't actually ride slowly. I have what you can call a mixed riding. Sometimes I ride slowly but other times I just can't contain myself and ride like a lunatic. So it's important to have a good performance on the tyre although durability is also an important factor but it's a second priority.

The Q2's are definitely great tyres and I wouldn't turn back to get another tyre, but I was just curious about which Bridgestone's directly compete with these because the BT-003's are apparently tyres to compete for example with the Dunlop Qualifier RR or the GP racer type of tyres.

Thanks very much! :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
personaly i dont like dunlops, they where on my 954 when i bought it and they where crap. took a long time to warm up and after riding for a bit the grip they had went away. the bridgestones where better but wore out fast. for the last few years i have been running the metzlers m3 best tires i have ever run love them.
Thank you for your post sscottab, the Metzeler crossed my mind but my idea of those tyres was that they were more for track use. I don't know anything about tyres though heheh.

I've got to get myself an avatar! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah Denzee, I was just reading this article Dunlop Sportmax Q2 Product Review - Sportbike Tires Review - Motorcycle USA and they really value the Q2 :)

I mean, I don't actually ride slowly. I have what you can call a mixed riding. Sometimes I ride slowly but other times I just can't contain myself and ride like a lunatic. So it's important to have a good performance on the tyre although durability is also an important factor but it's a second priority.

The Q2's are definitely great tyres and I wouldn't turn back to get another tyre, but I was just curious about which Bridgestone's directly compete with these because the BT-003's are apparently tyres to compete for example with the Dunlop Qualifier RR or the GP racer type of tyres.

Thanks very much! :thumb:
Simple answer...Bridgestone BT-016's they are intermediate like the qualifiers but I have no experience with them, I have however heard from numerous people that they are incredible...I met a guy who was still running them with over 5000 miles on them...hes a little crazy though.

Also The BT-003's are dual compound so they actually hold up well for normal riding, I got about 3000 miles out of a rear tire and replaced the front only because Im a snob and like matched tires, I am also more of a sane rider, I do like to get my lean on, but in normal day to day riding I get alot of freeway time in there so you might be about the same as me as far as type of riding. I prefer very sticky quick warming tires mostly because I cant ride to their limits and the added safety in that is more important than actual performance or life of the tire, I do occasionally let the rear step out through some predictable turns in my area but thats because I want to do it, not because it just "happens".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simple answer...Bridgestone BT-016's they are intermediate like the qualifiers but I have no experience with them, I have however heard from numerous people that they are incredible...I met a guy who was still running them with over 5000 miles on them...hes a little crazy though.

Also The BT-003's are dual compound so they actually hold up well for normal riding, I got about 3000 miles out of a rear tire and replaced the front only because Im a snob and like matched tires, I am also more of a sane rider, I do like to get my lean on, but in normal day to day riding I get alot of freeway time in there so you might be about the same as me as far as type of riding. I prefer very sticky quick warming tires mostly because I cant ride to their limits and the added safety in that is more important than actual performance or life of the tire, I do occasionally let the rear step out through some predictable turns in my area but thats because I want to do it, not because it just "happens".
Yeah, I would also like to get a new front tyre to mach the rear but I can't right now. I'll just ride carefully until I do. But by what I read and was told yesterday, you should definitely use matched tyres for stability.

Safety is also definitely my top priority heheh :)

Do rear tyres always wear out before front tyres?

This rear tyre lasted 6000 miles (it actually lasted less by normal safety standards but I pretended it was still good). I used it on a track-day when it was practically new and left it in really bad shape ("good for the trash", said a tyre sales person at the track), so I started riding more softly on the road also because the rear started sliding unintentionally under acceleration (the horror!! :D ). When it finally punctured the day before yesterday, the metal wiring was already showing throughout the center line, clearly reflecting the headlights of the tow truck. I definitely exhausted that tyre.

The front tyre still looks minimally safe though, except for the edges (from the track use) but as I'm not leaning that far or riding that hard on the road , I'll keep it some more time :)

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Dude

I know we are feeling the strain with money at the minute........

But don't ride a litre sportsbike, or any other for that matter, with a rear tyre so worn the carcass is coming through. Tyres aren't cheap, but neither are you or your ride if you end up sliding down the road.

Doesn't matter how careful you are mate.

Flex that credit card !!! :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
When it comes to my bike I dont skimp...premium gas, premium oil, premium tires, etc. Now the truck gets the crap gas, crap oil. crap tires, etc...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude

I know we are feeling the strain with money at the minute........

But don't ride a litre sportsbike, or any other for that matter, with a rear tyre so worn the carcass is coming through. Tyres aren't cheap, but neither are you or your ride if you end up sliding down the road.

Doesn't matter how careful you are mate.

Flex that credit card !!! :thumb:
Thanks for the tip splatty!

I guess I should have taken care of that earlier :p I didn't realize it was so dangerous. But we're always learning... :O
Knowing that, I won't let it happen again! :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I know mate.

Just get on the net and get the best deal you can. Importing is no big deal these days.

Friends have recommended Maxxis Sportmaxx tyres to me. They come in at £140 a pair for a blade. Sounds a bit cheap, but the reviews are very good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I know mate.

Just get on the net and get the best deal you can. Importing is no big deal these days.

Friends have recommended Maxxis Sportmaxx tyres to me. They come in at £140 a pair for a blade. Sounds a bit cheap, but the reviews are very good.
That sure is cheap! That set is cheaper than the front tire I also just ordered from the shop. If I could get a pair for 180£ or even for 225£ that would already be a huge discount from the price I'm getting (190£ rear plus 144£ front). I decided not to wait this time, though next time I'll definitely try to find a good deal online :)

I went to get the bike with the new rear tyre (that new thread looked so much deeper than I remembered heheh) and the clear difference between the front and the rear made me order the front tyre too. I imagined myself crashing and then saying to myself. "it would have been much cheaper to get that front tyre" :D Anyway, it will be mounted in a week or so.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Good news mate. At least you will probably have the climate to ride next week too.

Your tyre pricing does sounds on the expensive side over there.

Serves you right for getting great weather ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Good news mate. At least you will probably have the climate to ride next week too.

Your tyre pricing does sounds on the expensive side over there.

Serves you right for getting great weather ;)
ahahah! :thumb: Yesterday I got a shower returning from the shop though. Really bad luck as it hadn't rained all day. And it started raining right at that moment, and it poured lol.

But yeah :) probably next week there will be at least one or two days without rain. I usually check out the forecast here:

Intellicast - Lisbon Weather Report in Portugal

but only the first 2 or 3 days are usually accurate heheh

I kind of like rain and clowdy weather even when driving. But it's definitely not so great for riding heheh.
The downside of not raining so much around here is that when it does really pour, the roads show all their bad construction. The water doesn't drain properly, forming giant puddles even in the freeways, these puddles are so massive in some spots that are even dangerous for cars. New potholes emerge a little bit everywhere. In the countryside, earth and debris slide onto the road from the roadside.

After raining, the motorcyclists have to wait sometimes days for all the puddles to dry out and all the mud to be either cleaned by cleaning vehicles and, in most cases, by passing vehicles. When you finally go out to ride, you have to make a "reconnaissance" ride to check where the new potholes are.

But these little issues apart, it's a nice place to have a bike weather-wise :)
The worse thing for a rider here is the road itself.

I'd still love to ride in those lush green landscapes of England though!

wait a minute? What's this? Thunders? lol Now these are rare!:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts