Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1/4mile CHEERS!!!

hey guys im taking my new 954 out to do some 1/4mile runs at a race stip close to me... but i havnt had my bike long and its my first bike over a 250cc. so my take offs aint very good.
what i want to know is... if i give it full throttle it wheelies and i have to put it back down and ill lose time...if i dont give it enogh ill lose time...if i give it full throttle will the front only stay up until my next gear change or will i land on my arse??...should i just burn my clutch through 1st and then give it full thottle in 2nd?? also will it make any difference if i have warm tyres or not on a 1/4 run?? cheers for any help :thumb:

*********************UPDATED*****************************

Just got home...it was bloody Fantastic!!!!! :thumb: :D

i ran 1/4mile in 11.0seconds at 128.3MPH...my 660' was 7.2seconds at 104.1MPH
afterwards i realised i hadnt put my mirrors back...would it have made any difference? it was also about +26.c ....ill go back soon after some mods and when ive had the bike a bit longer :)
it was damn great...cheers everyone for the help... :thumb:

***pics of me at the drags***** http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11125&whichpage=3

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never done any timed 1/4 mile runs, but have played around with quick take-offs on the street. My advice is to use the clutch to modulate power in 1st gear. The 954 front is real light, but you'll want to keep it down as much as possible, and shifting weight forward upon launch will help do that. Yeh, you should lower tire pressure and have warm tires. Also, raising the front a few millimeters will help too.

good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No offense intended but B*** SH**!!
lower tire pressure will only enhance traction, as evidenced by the "light" front end, the 954 does not have a traction deficency :rotfl:

My advise to the former 250 driver is to go fast and have a blast :)

By the way lowering the front may be the better choice for the quarter.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was just at the dragstrip a few weeks ago. My advice is leave the air pressure around 35psi in the rear. Stage up, bring the rpm up to about 4,000, ease out on the clutch and feed in the throtle. If the air temp is below 70, it's going to wheelie no matter what unless you short shift into second around 8 or 9000. I wouldn't bother heating up the tire, unless you just want to do a burnout for the hell of it. Have fun, if nothing else just ride wheelies down the track. :thumb:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys :D ill post the time's i get if i dont land on my arse first go :eek: ill also have my digicam taped to the tank so i might be able to get some mpeg files on the net... 24 hours to go...will be a blast :thumb:

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Good luck dude. BTW - you may want to tie down the front (as was suggested in some ofther threads) this may help keep the front down.

Z...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Having the cam attached to the tank is going to slow you down a little as you'r not going to be able to tuck under the screen so you'll cause more wind drag.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with the cam ill just use it on one run..thats if i get more than one...if it aint busy it sounds like i should get a few...if not a mate in the stands can film..
ill be happy if i run 11 seconds first go....what dose a stock 954 run normally?? 10?? Busi is like 9.8 or something...hmmm
Thanks again for the help..keep it coming for another 24 hours :smilebig:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
you should be able to runs in the 11's pretty easily,but don't be surprised if your first run is only a 12.
Running a sports bike on the strip is not as easy as it looks to get decent numbers, every time you roll off the throttle you will loose 2 tenths of a second.
the bike should be capable of running mid to possibly even low 10's, but that is with you dong everything perfectly and it will end up toasting your clutch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My $.02
The 1/4 is a lot of hype on speed. At the end of a few runs you'll be saying "What's he big deal...I go a lot faster on the streets". While the trap speed and time are what we all brag about it's the 60' time and 1/8th time and speed that really are your guages for improvment. Everything after the 1/8th is just riding....unless you spray.

So...
- Do your burnout. It's 4 seconds of fun but more importantly heats up your gear box. If you do your run and it's cold you will miss shifts. Missed shifts will kill any chances of descent numbers. (This really only applies to long waits in line for your turn and engine temp doesn't matter).
- Do a normal yet aggressive start. If you start at power, 4k was suggested, you run the risk of gacking it and stalling. The idea is to get off that clutch as quick as possible for the reason of.....
- Fixate your target. Yes it's a straight line but while in 1st you've got a lot going on, and you'll be hitting your shift point quick. Be comfortable. You don't have to start in a tuck.
- 2nd gear....begin your forward tuck and look at the point in the road where you can see both the road and your tach. Your main goal in 2nd is to get to WOT(wide open throttle) as soon as you can while keeping the front down. Once there......
- Keep that throttle pinned through your 2nd, 3rd and 4th shifts. Do not let up on throttle to shift. DO NOT short shift when doing this! You'll see your tach and shift at entry into the red. You will be hitting red line, 11.5, very quickly when WOT shifting. If you miss your shift point the rev limit will sputter you at 12.5 and you'll gack your time.
- My goals to attain or beat when I go are.....60' times in the low 1.7 range. 1/8 time's in the low 7's at 105mph or so. Trap at 130 at low 11's to high 10's. This isn't a drag bike so your there for fun.
-Motorcycle Consumer News claims they were doing 10.3 at 130something with 6.8 in the 1/8th at 6.8sec. On a stock bike. Possible? Yes but proves that good 1/4 mile runs are, IMHO, 30% Bike and 70% Rider, if not more.
- FYI...while your reaction time (R/T), the time it takes you to start moving in relation to the the green "go" light, is important when racing someone else, it will not effect your overall times. All other timing will not start untill you break the beam and start. So since it's you against the clock don't worry so much about when you start but how you start. At least that's how it works at Gainseville on test and tune nights.

Post your slips when your done.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been once so far (this bike, lots of other times on other bikes) but only got to make 2 runs. I would hold the revs at 5k rpm and then when the green hit, roll-on the gas and slip the hell out of the clutch. My 60' foot times were 1.8's which is good but it will be impossible to go full throttle in 1st. With stock gearing, you may have to hit 4th right at the end if you get a good launch.

I am going again this Saturday but I now have a strap for the front and a -1 front sprocket. Hopefully I'll be able to use a lot more of 1st gear this way. My goal is to hit a 10.1x so we'll see what happens. The air is nice this time of year too.;)

My times from last time were 6.9 @ 109mph in the 1/8th and 10.5 @ 133mph i the 1/4.

·
Registered
92 Posts
CBRGuy said:
My times from last time were 6.9 @ 109mph in the 1/8th and 10.5 @ 133mph i the 1/4.
Excellent...That would have you holding with many of the street, not stretched, busas and zx12s I've seen run at G'ville. And this on a 954? I've done 12 runs on the 929 last season and have yet to break 7 in the 1/8th, my best being 7.2. I've tried the launch at RPM and found that if I don't gack it then I'm on the clutch too long for my taste. I'm also running -1 up front and the bike has had a lot of weight trimmed off. But then again I'm 240 with gear that I can use to my advantage in keeping it on the floor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
aBnorMal said:
Excellent...That would have you holding with many of the street, not stretched, busas and zx12s I've seen run at G'ville. And this on a 954? I've done 12 runs on the 929 last season and have yet to break 7 in the 1/8th, my best being 7.2. I've tried the launch at RPM and found that if I don't gack it then I'm on the clutch too long for my taste. I'm also running -1 up front and the bike has had a lot of weight trimmed off. But then again I'm 240 with gear that I can use to my advantage in keeping it on the floor.
It really is all in the launch. I am slipping the clutch almost all the way through 1st gear. Hopefully with the strapped front-end I'll be able to get the clutch out sooner and get on the gas more. I really need to concentrate on the 330' times. After that it is cake.

Here's a vid of that run: http://www.nickmora.com/images/vids/nickdragstrip.mpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
brennyP said:
with the cam ill just use it on one run..thats if i get more than one...if it aint busy it sounds like i should get a few...if not a mate in the stands can film..
ill be happy if i run 11 seconds first go....what dose a stock 954 run normally?? 10?? Busi is like 9.8 or something...hmmm
Thanks again for the help..keep it coming for another 24 hours :smilebig:

Sport Rider has the 02 stock 954 clocking 10.26 @ 137.57 and 10.23 @ 137.57 in the 1/4.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've got a couple of videos of cbriderdan and myself at the dragstrip on CD. How can I put them on the site? :idunno: I think this thread is going to get jacked......sorry.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
CBRGuy said:
It really is all in the launch. I am slipping the clutch almost all the way through 1st gear. Hopefully with the strapped front-end I'll be able to get the clutch out sooner and get on the gas more. I really need to concentrate on the 330' times. After that it is cake.

Kickass vid!!!!
:thumb:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for the vidoe mate... sweet run..
well im on my way out..thanks for the help guys..ill post my times in about 7 hours :D :thumb: later

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
CBRGuy said:

That was sweet! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
brennyP said:
Cheers for the vidoe mate... sweet run..
well im on my way out..thanks for the help guys..ill post my times in about 7 hours :D :thumb: later
Goodluck :thumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts