Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I love how Cadillac is doing this stuff. They are building some cars I'd like to own again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Didn't they do the 'Displacement on Demand' thing in the 70's or 80's?  Seems like they had a v8 that would run on 4,6, or 8 cylinders.

I really like the Evoq as well. For some reason I thought it was already available. But, no.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
sweetonion : Didn't they do the 'Displacement on Demand' thing in the 70's or 80's?  Seems like they had a v8 that would run on 4,6, or 8 cylinders.

I really like the Evoq as well.  For some reason I thought it was already available.  But, no.
Some Ford Trucks already have/had that. If for some reason the engine would overheat, it would cut some of the cylinders out to make it run cooler. Or maybe it was just experimental, can't remember now

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (sweetonion @ Aug. 01 2003, 1:28pm)Didn't they do the 'Displacement on Demand' thing in the 70's or 80's?  Seems like they had a v8 that would run on 4,6, or 8 cylinders.

I really like the Evoq as well.  For some reason I thought it was already available.  But, no.
Some Ford Trucks already have/had that.  If for some reason the engine would overheat, it would cut some of the cylinders out to make it run cooler.  Or maybe it was just experimental, can't remember now
The new Chevy Suburbans, and probaly others do this. Runs on alternating 4 cylinders for like 50 miles if you loose coolent or overheat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No... the first one looks drug-dealerish. I guarandamntee you that all the frickin' rappers will have that car when it comes out. Mark my words!

·
Registered
469 Posts
this taken from an article on displacement on demand:

....This concept is not new. GM tried it 21 years ago. Some may remember the Cadillac 4-6-8 V8 engine introduced in 1981. This engine ran on 4,6 or 8 cylinders as loads demanded, but it was limited by a cable throttle, mechanically controlled transmission and a fraction of the computer power currently available. While the concept was fine, the technology wasn't. The Cadillac engine was rough and sometimes erratic when switching the number of operating cylinders. Most of these cars had their engines soon converted to work on eight cylinders all the time.

So yes, they did do this before. But obviously more primative.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
stegen : Quote (Gearhead @ Aug. 01 2003, 7:52pm)No... the first one looks drug-dealerish.  I guarandamntee you that all the frickin' rappers will have that car when it comes out.  Mark my words!  
yup, every brotha in the hood will want one

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
coderedcbr : Quote (stegen @ Aug. 01 2003, 11:57pm)Quote (Gearhead @ Aug. 01 2003, 7:52pm)No... the first one looks drug-dealerish.  I guarandamntee you that all the frickin' rappers will have that car when it comes out.  Mark my words!  

What, whats wrong with that?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
stegen : Quote (coderedcbr @ Aug. 02 2003, 2:32am)Quote (stegen @ Aug. 01 2003, 11:57pm)Quote (Gearhead @ Aug. 01 2003, 7:52pm)No... the first one looks drug-dealerish.  I guarandamntee you that all the frickin' rappers will have that car when it comes out.  Mark my words!  

What, whats wrong with that?
What Ballers want

1 - 18 of 18 Posts