Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 08 1000RR and it ran great the first couple of days. Then it started dying on me as I was coming to a stop. I've read a lot of posts about this happending but what is different with mine is that I need to turn the key off for a second and then turn it back on or it will not fire back up. At first it did it once or twice on my way to work but now it does it every time I come to a stop. Sometimes it does it while I'm downshifting and if I make it all the way to a stop with the engine running it will die as soon as I go to start again. From the manual, the only thing that would require the key to be turned off and on is the bank sensor. Does anyone know anything else that would cause this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Vapor lock... basically the pressure in the gas tank becomes to high because the fuel begins to boil in the fuel lines causing the bike to shut off when you stop. The easiest solution is to just open your gas cap and relieve the pressure and then it should be fine.

It was a common problem in a ton of bikes. Ive seen it mostly on liter bikes though. Happens a lot to the yamaha R1's . The problem is mostly likely your gas cap its usually vented one way into the tank. and not properly relieving the pressure. Also there is usually a tube down to the side of the bike that relieves pressure as well as excess gas, make sure that nothing is lodged into that line

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Thats easy enought to test, I'll just open the gas tank lid. However seems unlikely when the engine is still cold as soon as I start it up. As soon as I get to the end of the driveway it shuts off. And then again one block later at the stop sign, etc. I will try it out and post my results. Hopefully that will be it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
it could be pressure build up from the time you ridden before. If there is no pressure release, then it could just be sitting there all night, and since you are in miami, all the warm weather when not riding can add to it. A good sign that this is it is if you open the tank, you hear it kinda pop/ pressure release like opening a soda can.

There may be more to look into to find out why your tank isnt properly vented but im almost positive it is the gas cap

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did fill the tank right before it started happening so I'm hoping thats it. I'll let you know as soon as I get back home. I had to ride the Harley to work and man do I miss the CBR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some testing, its definately not vapor lock. Actually the problem has now gotten much worse, which might be easier to diagnose. At this point the bike turns off as soon as I try to put it in gear. It fires up idles and revs fine. I pull in the clutch and as soon as I touch the gear shifter it turns the engine off. Before it actually goes into gear and even before the neutral light turns off. When I turn the ignition off and on the fuel pump wont come on. I have to let it sit a minute and then turn the ignition on for me to hear the fuel pump come on. Obviously when I dont hear the fuel pump the bike will not start. Any ideas anyone????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just jumpered the stand switch and verified ground and same thing. Something else interesting , if I start it in first it dies as soon as I begin to move. I think it's time to take it to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts