Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the search here. Thought I would pose the question. I am looking at getting a 2004 CBR 1000RR. I do a bit of touring, and was wondering if there is ANY WAY of adding a fuel gauge to this bike.:idunno: Has anybody tried anything?

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
it has a dummy light. when it comes on you have about 30 to 40 miles left.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Reset your odo, fill up, ride until the light comes on, check your trip odo...Then, it's up to your memory...And you even get a 25-40 mile break after the light. I rode (until recently) fairly long touring trips out to NH, Cape Cod, Canada, etc on my 929, and though it took a little while to get used to it, I didn't miss the fuel gauge. Though, as a personal editorial, it wouldn't have been a big deal for Honda to include one...The other thing, if you get a good GPS, you can have it alert you (visually and aurally) when it's time to fill up...Especially if you plan out a route...Also, if you use map-sheets on a tank-bag, mark your fuel stops before you go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I'm guessing it hasn't been tried/done. I am not new to keeping an eye on the mileage, just wondering if there was a way to add a fuel gauge for S**t's and Giggles. Does anyone know if the 600RR Fuel tank would fit in place on the 1000RR? Would this allow me to use the 600RR dash or maybe just the fuel level LCD?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I am pretty confident that I can fit another dash, I am worried about getting all the functions to work.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
just look up the wiring diagrams for both dashes, and what color wire is what and goes where and you should have a problem at all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just worried that there isn't a sensor in the 1000RR that relays fuel level. I realize the 1000RR gas tank can tell me when I am low enough to need gas, but if I were to hook up a 600RR dash, for example, I wonder if the fuel gauge on the 600RR dash would actually do anything.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
well don't forget even if the sender will work with sending the fuel level, it's a different size tank then what the cluster is synced for
not saying it can't be done, cause I have every intention on doing it or attempting it on mine

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I seem to remember ads in the back of MC or CW about fuel gauges for sportbikes...Adding, when all there is is a light...

·
Registered
30 Posts
just drive till you run out of gas then flip over to reserve....gives you enough time to get to the nearest gas station

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's the difference between carburators and Fuel injection. On the 99 900 you have carburators and the fuel shut off (on/off/res). On the 06 1000 you have the fuel injection with no petcock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts