Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling the motor on my 'blade, ran into a minor snag.

Pulling the header off, I was supposed to remove the nuts from the studs. All but one of them came off with relative ease, but the lower nut on the far right port seized to the stud. The stud is opposite threaded on both ends, so the entire stud came out, where it should have stayed in and only the nut come off.

How do I get the nut off the stud? I don't want to ruin the motor side threads with pliers. My idea was to put it back in the head with anti-seize, let it harden, then try to get the nut off.

Please help.

Also, is paper towel ok to plug the exhaust ports?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Seized parts loosen with percussion. If you can rattle it with an air hammer or a small hammer against a vice, it can be ready for a pair of vice grips and a wrench. Penetrating oil, such as WD40, helps get the nut off once the corrosion breaks free.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G-Force Junkie said:
Get two metric nuts, thread on to the engine side of the stud, jam them together and remove the regular nut.

brilliant, thanks.

I'm pulling the engine to replace the water joint on the top left side of the cylinder head. I lowsided on that side and the bracket from my SHOGUN slider punctured the little aluminum water joint. It can't be replaced without dropping the motor. I was a little worried about it at first, but I'm having a good time and learning a lot about my motorcycle. I'm just going by the book, to the letter, taking my time and labelling everything.

ok... I pulled the air filter elements out and there is a little bit of an oily film and some dust on the inside of them... is this ok? There doesn't seem to be any oil on the intake trumpets though.

Bacchus: The registry agent fucked up and put 10000rr on my pink slip. I'm quite proud of my 10 litre motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Its pretty common to get oil in the air box aftr a crash, the crankcase vents a routed up in there. If the filters oily, replace it. Otherwise just clean the dirt out of the airbox and run it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts