Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I helped a friend install a lazer "slip on" (catback maybe?) on his 1000RR yesterday. (Sorry no pics)

A few things I noticed.

The 1000RR cooks the HELL out of the tailight. No wonder they're discoloring.

The Lazer:

The quality of the pipes was nice. The piping was nicely made too.

Instructions sucked. Pictures only. And a couple of them have a hand right where you need to see something.

Lazer elected not to weld nuts onto the "adapter" (the piece that splits the flow for the 2 cans) for the heatshield and the mufflers themselves. Instead you have to slide the nut under a bracket welded to the can, and then thread the tiny allen bolts into it. This made it a mild PITA to attach the front brackets for the cans.

The cans are held together, and then to the bike by 2 brackets that come together in the middle. They also use a cheesy heat shield material to place between the can and the clamp to keep from putting the heat directly into the frame.

The brackets have 4 tabs that all come together onto an allen bolt. This bolt threads through the four and then threads into a U bracket which this time has a nut welded to it, and this bracket then attaches to the frame. So you push the bolt through the 4 bracket tabs and then thread it into the U-bracket. Problem is, you can't get a wrench on the bottom with the cans in place! This design is pure shit.

If the nut hadn't been welded on, it would've been much better. Then you could put the bolt through the top of the bracket, and with the cans in place, just held the nut with a wrench.

People that have installed these apparently complain they can't get this tight, and that they loose the cheesy heat shields.

My solutions were to JB weld the bolt to one of the brackets and then tighten the u bracket.(A welder sure would've been handy) I also siliconed the heat shielding in place on the cans to (hopefully) keep them from moving.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
So did you get to ride it when you were done?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Rider said:
So did you get to ride it when you were done?
I didn't ask. It was our first drizzling rain anyway so it would've just spun the tire.

The sound? Subjective really, but I thought it sounded nice. We put in the "street" baffles and it was pretty quiet for an aftermarket set-up. Not as deep as say a Micron on the 929 but it sounded much better than stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts