Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1000RR Review
Ill keep it short--Go buy one, this bike is friggin awesome. I have only put 350 mi on mine, and I have nothing but good to say about it.

0)The HRC version did NOT come to fuition so I bought a street version (R/B)

1) The motor is incerdibly smooth--rivals the Blackbird
1.5) It is deceptively fast, you think you are cruising along and you are into triple digits (in a controlled environment of course--)
1.6) the steering dampner is a trip, it combined with the longer swingarm keeps the bike hella-stable at speed, but it still turns in really fast(takes some gettin used to)I havent noticed any interfence with the bikes flickability(as pointed out by a magazine review)--Ill have a better idea after Laguna Seca
2) Power is totally linear, and it has tons of grunt
3) Handling is wicked-front biased as promised which I love, Doesnt feel overweight at all to me, very flickable, also feels lower than the 929--but theres a lot of ground clearance.
4) Brakes--couldnt ask for anything more
5) Suspension--for the track--needs an Ohlins in the rear--for the street its fine as is(with some adj)
6) Jacked a bunch of preload in the front forks, feels great for the street. Im gonna have Dan Kyle revalve/spring next week prior to trackdays/racing.
7) You can put your wallet, cell phone, smokes in the back "trunk"-- good enough for me

8) After my current 1000RR turns into a dedicated trackbike, I am going to sell the CBR1100XX, and get an 1000RR for the street

---enuf said

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Trackho said:
....dampner.......
Hehe - you said dampner.
I'll admit I'm fighting picking one up, but I just have to remind myself how much fun I had on the street with my 954.
Congrats, though. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
showmethebombs said:
I would be interested to see what degree the trunk gets up to? I imagine it might cook the cell phone!
Doing it a couple of times should be ok but regularly throwing it into the boot wouldn't be a good idea, it gets pretty damn warm in there. The repeated heating and cooling would probably be a bad thing for the mobile and I'm sure you could arrange it so that the phone was wedged in there nicely to overcome the vibes.

In the colder months you might be able to do some kind of ducted heating arrangement.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think its cool how you guys call it the mobile...that's what I have starting calling mine. Seems to be a US thing, to call it a cell, I mean.

It would be an interesting thing to see the temp, and one could check it out with an indoor outdoor thermo. Whos going to do the test for us? I would, but I am lacking in the 1000RR dept. Those big ass vents must duct some in there right? not much though I bet...wonder if they could be rerounted to the air box. ( totally kidding )

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
it gets hot as hell in the trunk of my 600RR, this I know! No way am I putting my "mobile" back there...

In the trunk of my RC, I "eff'd" up my 2 way pager because of the vibration, never again I say...

Good review trackho!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
showmethebombs said:
I think its cool how you guys call it the mobile...that's what I have starting calling mine. Seems to be a US thing, to call it a cell, I mean.

It would be an interesting thing to see the temp, and one could check it out with an indoor outdoor thermo. Whos going to do the test for us? I would, but I am lacking in the 1000RR dept. Those big ass vents must duct some in there right? not much though I bet...wonder if they could be rerounted to the air box. ( totally kidding )
Mobile works for me too.

I'm not sure how effective the rear vents are, my legs would seem to be largely blocking the air flow into them. Plus they only direct the air around the outside of the boot so the warm air in there isn't going anywhere. I'll grab a thermometer and see what happens today.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
the ride into work only took about 10 minutes and the bike got a little bit of stick on the onramp to hte freeway.

The temp was 22 before I took off. At the end of the ride the engine was sitting at 93 degrees celcius once I stopped moving, and the boot was only at 30 degrees celcius after I parked and checked it out. So I guess its not too bad, but a longer ride might be different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The biggest concern for the mobile would be the battery. Hot and cold reduce it's life. It will get to where it doesn't hold a charge as long WAY before the phone is hurt from the heat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not sure how functional the "vent" is in the back. If you take the rear cowl off, you will see there is only a tiny slit for the air to enter.
I'd think the seat cowl replacement would be much more effective in releasing heat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
knip said:
I'm not sure how functional the "vent" is in the back. If you take the rear cowl off, you will see there is only a tiny slit for the air to enter.
I'd think the seat cowl replacement would be much more effective in releasing heat.

I was shattered to find out that the ram air ducts on the front are fake!! The real ram air duct is just above the radiator.

Little cheesy from Honda I reckon.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Since Trackho started it, I'll add some comments about the bike. I got to flog it for the first time today. Busy keeping up with Holeshot's throttle happy ass today on the Olympic Peninsula... :smilebig:

Between 8-11k, this fuggin bike is like riding a bull who has just had his nuts chopped off. It's very fast, the motor is so smooth doing it, the speed just creeps up. Leaned over, this bike is just as stable as the RC51 or at least close, and that is saying heaps, Honda has done their homework again. The bike simply puts the power to the ground, I wasn't getting wheelspin today at all. The BT014s grip well, they don't stick like the M1s, but they are grippy, predictable, and phenomenal tires, a definitive step up from the BT010s that I once used. With the RC, I can (comparison sake here) lean it over on the edge of the tire at will once the tires are somewhat heated. I can hang off of it, whatever, I was close to doing that today on stock suspension. My RC has full ohlins all the way around.

What else... The damper you don't even think about it. I felt it actually once today, because I hit the throttle on a crest and the front wheel got a few inches off the ground and started skipping, I could feel the pull of that damper somehow.. I kept leaning it over, and whacking the throttle with a gradual motion from slow to fast, not WFO all at once, a nice smooth roll...
The bike just stuck to the ground and tookoff, no light front end, no nothing, solid stability. I'm in awe of how stable this thing really is, with a Ohlins in the back and DK forks, Omgoodness, I might be going to jail if caught :D
It's really frikkin hard to upset the suspension, between the chassis and shock/forks, the damn thing just soaks it up.

The ergos will take a little getting used to. Feels a lot like the RC when it was stock (no Sato Clip Ons), semi rack. It is comfortable enough for 100-150 miles, longer days (We rode a little over 300 today), my upper back was sore. I'll definitely be looking forward to Mr. Satosan making some bars for this one :D The seat didn't really bother me much today, I just move around a lot so that helps, Corbin couldn't hurt.

This is the best stock bike I've ever ridden. That whole bike or whole package shit that Honda has advertised isn't just marketing, it's the truth. The bike as a package is unlike anything I've ridden (stock), when you are riding it, the bike just feels solid, and like each part was made perfectly to go with the other perfect part if that makes any sense. I think the press and many others have underestimated this bike. If all the magz hated it, I'd still laugh at them. Some (MO, Cyclenews, and the Europress) are hailing it. Trackho saying he wants 2 of them should speak heaps. You've never ridden a bike like this. The bike just sticks to the turns.

Last thing I can think of is the sound and exhaust when you get in the upper RPM range, it sounds nice, very growly instead of that high whine that I associate with a Yosh piped Gixxer (sorry Chain ;) ).

Whatever they are charging for it, is a steal.

Edit: Forgot to mention the flick and the stick.

It flicks as easy at the 929/954.

The stick. These brakes are fuggin incredible. The feel is as good as the stopping power, they are progressive. I lofted the rear a couple of times (inches not feet). Following Holeshot today, he and I both overshot some turns (fargin no riding winter :rant: ) and I had to get on the brakes while leaned over, let's just say they are very forgiving, and the bike in a whole is forgiving. With stainless lines (from the master cylinder to the Y, is rubber, I think the rest is stainless/kevlar) and HRC pads, you'd be hard pressed to find a better braking system anywhere, including some racebikes.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
matt232 said:
Doing it a couple of times should be ok but regularly throwing it into the boot wouldn't be a good idea, it gets pretty damn warm in there. The repeated heating and cooling would probably be a bad thing for the mobile and I'm sure you could arrange it so that the phone was wedged in there nicely to overcome the vibes.

In the colder months you might be able to do some kind of ducted heating arrangement.
Bullshit--it doesnt even get warm--charging your phone will get it waaaaaaaaay hotter

I do find it interesting that given the entire review, what some people focus on is the cell-phone friendliness of the trunk---why I dont post that often on the org---what a bunch of blingin posers :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I SAT on one this weekend. It FELT HEAVY. That worried me. Compared to the 954, it feels like it has an extra 50 lbs up high. Good to hear all the postives about it. Congrats to you guys and hope you have lots of fun with the bike!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts