Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
My bike has been acting up lately. No serious issues, but the temperature used to stay at 80 degrees celcius and would stay static unless I let it idle, but in the past couple of weeks it's been staying between 70-75 at cruising speeds and if I ride below 30/40 km/h the temperature slowly starts to rise until the fan kicks in (about 102).
It does take quite a while before it reaches those temperatures, but it eventually does.
Also when I stop the bike starts steaming. I am not able to locate where the steam comes from, but It seems to be somewhere around the radiator. It has been raining a lot lately so I can't really tell if it's water from the road or coolant from the bike.
This happens only if the bike has been ridden. The steam is nowhere to be seen if I just let it idle.
There is little to no loss in coolant and no loss of oil.
I recently had a bad gasket on the rad. cap, but after I snatched the one from the 954 the bike ran fine (for maybe a week or two).
The radiator looks a bit roughed up, but there are no leaks.
Do you guys think this is radiator, thermostat or a head gasket issue?
Probably not the latter as I have flushed the system multiple times and no sludge or other contaminants have been found, but I have no clue.
It also smokes sometimes when warming up, but I believe this is due to air humidity where I live.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps, I believe the issue came about after I flushed the cooling system.
I had just done a track weekend and wanted to replace the water with glycol based coolant to prevent freezing as it will get cold soon.
I believe that everything was done correctly and the system is bled so there should not be any air traps. Have since done this multiple times to no avail.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would guess the stat is sticking open. steam from road water is more than likely re the steam - I've noticed this on my 2014 more than any of the other bikes I have had. btw I assume you used glycol based antifreeze and not OAT? Should be ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate free corrosion inhibitors. I flushed the system in the 929 and used OAT and the temperature was all over the place and when I went back to ethylene glycol it was fine again, completely normal -go figure!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is ethylene glycol coolant. I thought that the thermostat was probably the cause of my problems, but I think it's weird that it decided to act up right after I did a flush.
Made me think i'd done something.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unfortunately Honda used a undersized radiator for the 929/954. It is sized for moving, not standing still. If your radiator "fins" are bent, distorted, covered in road grime and dead bugs - that reduces air flow and makes the radiator less effective in all situations. You could use a 1.6 bar radiator cap to keep the coolant where it belongs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike in question is a 2005 1000rr. The gasket on the radiator cap failed a couple of months ago, but I have a 954rr torn to shreds which I took the spare radiator cap from.
The radiator fins are indeed bent in some areas, but nothing unusual.
Might it be that the cap is not right for the 1000's radiator?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
the other thing is that there is a airlock in/around the thermostat or the temperature sensor. Perhaps try bleeding air form the system again to be 100% sure. I think these are fairly straight forward though (unlike some BMW car's I've worked on that are notorious for airlocks!!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try. Let's hope it's something that simple.
Thanks for the response guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts