Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my bike last weekend and it's got about 350 miles on it so far. My question is why does that exhaust pop so much? If I'm at idle I'll hear a pop every 4 or 5 seconds and if I get off the bike and shut it off I can hear the same pop (only much louder because the bike is off) and it's from the vicinity of the oil pan towards where the pipes merge together. It's not a big deal just kind of annoying how the thing keeps popping even after it's off. I figured any thermal expansion would be done after 350 miles of riding. I didn't notice it on the first day which was a 300 mile highway trip but riding around town now I do. Anyone else's do the same thing? Oh and my lower is hot as hell down there...I hope it doesn't melt like some have.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Expanding and contracting metal makes a clicking noise in my experience. Popping from the exhaust could be fuel in there. Too rich or a leak would do it. Sounds like a warranty repair

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a metallic pinging/popping noise and it's not fuel b/c it's doing it with the motor off for a minute or two.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Metal will contract after you shut the bike off and expand, but if you wear a helmet and can hear popping, I would take it back to the dealer. Mine makes the normal pops and creaks of the metal contracting and expanding, other than that I have to really be decelerating hard to make it pop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts