Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Am just wanting to know how you other 1000RR owners have set up your standard suspension for the road.

Riding the state highways in NZ can be fairly bumpy in places, and having suspension set up to rigid (to suit the track) or even at the factory setting seem a bit to hard and you end up fighting with the bike at high speed to try and stay on the thing if you hit small dips or bumps.

I have softened the front preload by 1.5 turns (10% softer of adjustment from factory setting) and have softened the rear preload to position 3 of 10 (10% softer of full adjustment from factory). The front and rear rebound and compression are still at the factory settings.

This seems to have settled it a bit, but still feel like there is more I could do to improve the stability at speed while cornering on a bumpy road.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have already read that one and tried searching. Most of the previous threads are either about upgrading to aftermarket suspension or setting them up for the track where as I am looking for some advice on setting up for the road.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have been looking at this lately. I found that abtech has a decent write up, (though it could use a quick edit for redundancy/clarity) and spanky has one that is easy to read.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I can't help as the stock settings are cranked all the way to hard and it's still too soft. Then again, the engineers don't set these up for people my size.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Check this thread. Although I would recommend setting the sag rather than a pre-canned solution is possible. The springs on the front of the 1000RR are pretty soggy it seems to me. When I dialed this is my front end got more planted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Sheepofblue.

I have tried the sportrider settings already but found them far to hard. (I only weigh about 170lbs) and those settings they recommend are for track use (which don't have pot holes etc).

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Sounds like you need to have a couple of pals help you set the sag. Write down the settings. Then play with them. Also remember there are two more settings that can effect how harsh things feel.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've been through h^ll and high water with this. If 1000net ever comes back up you can do a search from 2004 on. It will confuse the heck out of you.:D

These Showas (stock) are almost impossible to set up for rough fast roads, so be aware.
Here are some hints for the street for stock shocks:

I don't know how hard you ride. I ride pretty hard. I weigh a little more than you, I ALWAYS wear full race gear. Adds weight.

FORKS
I put a .95 Ohlins springs in the forks. BIG help.
I put lighter oil in the forks. Minor help.

Increase your preload as much as you can stand it.
Reduce compression and rebound to no more than 1 turn from full soft.
Add rebound to slow the spring bounce and compression to reduce dive. In SMALL amounts. It is a fine line between feeling controlled and not getting it too harsh, you are the only one who can tell.

REAR
I don't have as much problem with the rear as a lot of people.
Most people run at 4 down to 2 on the preload.
I run at 5. Faster, smoother roads I run at 6,
Once again:
Reduce compression and rebound to no more than 1 turn from full soft.
And add in both in small amounts until it feels right.

Also - make sure your tires aren't over inflated.

That's about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Clutchslip!.

I do ride pretty hard I guess, and I run tyres at 32F and 38R.

I have tried softening the compression and rebound, but it feels like the bike squats under power and wants to bottom out when coming down from high wheelstands suddenly. But from memory, when I did this I think I also softened the preload, so maybe I should try softening the compression and rebound but harden the preload??

What do ya reckon?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Fishslayer said:
Thanks Clutchslip!.

I do ride pretty hard I guess, and I run tyres at 32F and 38R.

I have tried softening the compression and rebound, but it feels like the bike squats under power and wants to bottom out when coming down from high wheelstands suddenly. But from memory, when I did this I think I also softened the preload, so maybe I should try softening the compression and rebound but harden the preload??

What do ya reckon?
Re-read it. That's exactly right. I would really get the .95 spring when you get a chance. And drop the rear tyre pressure by 2 or 3 lbs.

·
Banned
17 Posts
hey bro, try turning 1/4 turn softer on compression front and rear put tire pressure back to factory 42 put rear prload back to 4 and ride it like you stolr it. get rid of the factory flintstones and bet a set of pilot powers. for track days go to ohlins forks and shock.

·
Registered
998 Posts
riklyn said:
hey bro, try turning 1/4 turn softer on compression front and rear put tire pressure back to factory 42 put rear prload back to 4 and ride it like you stolr it. get rid of the factory flintstones and bet a set of pilot powers. for track days go to ohlins forks and shock.
42 psi :eek: What the hell on earth for? More like 34-36 for the road 30 for the track.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Jungleboy said:
42 psi :eek: What the hell on earth for? More like 34-36 for the road 30 for the track.
first off get rid of the flintstones and get some real tires like oh say pilot powers, then give the michelin engineers a call and hey they will tell you to go 44 in the front to keep them from chopping, that way they lean in fast and they will still hold the line. bring your ride to deals gap and see if you can keep up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts