Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I returned from a ride, I noticed that my brand new 1000rr windscreen has little white "splash spots" on it. They are almost transparent but will NOT come off. I tried water, 409, Plexis and even goo gone (quickly diluted). These are more substantial than water spots and very unsightly.

The only things I have used on the bike are water, plexis and McGuire's Quick Wax.

Do you think gas or acid splashed up?

Any ideas?

At this point it looks like I need a new windscreen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I agree with the Conq...I had something kill my 929 one when it was new too...I thought it was fuel from those new fuel pumps that are a pain to work with...but it very well could have been the shotty dealers doing the brake fluid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I tried rubbing alcohol, and alas, no go--spots still there!

The spots look like a splatter from the inside! I checked both brake reservoirs and they appeared to be well-sealed and had no sign of previous leakage.

Maybe it was a slight spray of gas that I did not see when I topped off the tank? It looks like window tinting that is coming unstuck--like 45 splatter spots.

Oh well, I have 420 miles and counting; when I take it in for the 600 mile service, I will ask the dealer what he can do.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I'm w/Conq and SMTB's. Sounds to me like your local incompetent stealer splashed some brake fluid on there. Take it back and raise hell! Probably to no avail, but it can't hurt. Oh, and find a new shop. :rant:

·
Registered
755 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Brake fluid can also be pulled out by the vaccum that is created behind the windscreen when riding at high speeds.
Time to get the sweatbands for the brake and clutch master cylinders,$1.99 at big 5 or $20 for the blingy hrc ones. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ConqSoft said:
Brake fluid can also be pulled out by the vaccum that is created behind the windscreen when riding at high speeds.
Cong: Your theory sounds like the best one so far. I have hit 100-120 several times in remote areas. (Just kidding of course).

Where can I get the HRC sweat bands for the brake reservoirs?

Oh, btw, I am not going to bark at the delivering dealer as he gave me a very fair price, had the bike all shiny and said what he would do, and did what he said! I respect that a lot and l really do not think he did anything wrong. More likely, this is an OEM issue.

My local dealer is doing the 600 mile service later this week (and about 100 miles early) and I will have him pursue it.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jafo said:
Time to get the sweatbands for the brake and clutch master cylinders,$1.99 at big 5 or $20 for the blingy hrc ones. :D
Where can I find such HRC Bling?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, this must be a new trend. I have the exact same scarring on the inside of my windscreen on the ZX-10R. I came to the conclusion that when the dealer prepped the bike, they must have splashed some brake fluid onto the inside of the screen.

Like you, I chose to let it go and just get a new MRA screen. I wanted one anyway, and the dealer is cool. It would be tough to prove that they caused it anyway. Just have to choose your battles carefully, I guess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CanyonCarver said:
Wow, this must be a new trend. I have the exact same scarring on the inside of my windscreen on the ZX-10R. I came to the conclusion that when the dealer prepped the bike, they must have splashed some brake fluid onto the inside of the screen.

Like you, I chose to let it go and just get a new MRA screen. I wanted one anyway, and the dealer is cool. It would be tough to prove that they caused it anyway. Just have to choose your battles carefully, I guess.

I am just afraid that if I replace the windscreen without dealing with the situation, the new one will do the same thing. I too noticed the HRC "bling" bands were out of stock! But thanks for the lead!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts