Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... said the temp guage when I turned on the ignition.

On a related observation, Engine Ice was good for a 3 degree drop in running temp, I normally see around 194° after a few miles constant running at 65mph. Today it ran about 190-191°.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where did you find the Engine Ice? I was in stop and go traffic here in Las Vegas today and the temp rose to 245! Is this normal? Bike only has 1,100 miles on it. Temp was around 105 outside.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Dookie said:
Where did you find the Engine Ice? I was in stop and go traffic here in Las Vegas today and the temp rose to 245! Is this normal? Bike only has 1,100 miles on it. Temp was around 105 outside.
alittle hot but i dont think its something you really need to worry about. dont let it happend alot., i bought my engine ice for my pocket bike at me local honda dealer

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
:eek: this thread was dead for nearly a year...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I agree with stegen,245 sounds a little too hot.The fan should come on around 216,217.I would make sure it's coming on and the coolant level is ok and I think abtech mentioned squeezing the coolant hose a few times to make sure no air pockets in the system.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Isn't there like a magic number when it comes to oil NOT working/breaking down...like 248 degrees or something? :idunno:

Dano

·
Registered
1 Posts
250 is when the system alarms, it will say in you dash.... i was riding in 112 weather almost falling off my bike and i don't think it went above 125-130

·
Registered
121 Posts
wFenris said:
250 is when the system alarms, it will say in you dash.... i was riding in 112 weather almost falling off my bike and i don't think it went above 125-130
Whats that in F?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 03 954 fan comes on at 213F. In stop and go traffic, it runs about 205. At highway speeds, I usually see about 185. Someone posted that theirs ran at 245? That seems a little warm, and I live in Vegas too. Check to make sure that your fan is running. It "should be" at 215. Check your owners manual for the exact temp. If the fan doesn't come on, it could be the thermostat switch, which sits in the side of the radiator. Or a blown fuse? Check the water level in your overflow bottle. Make sure that it's at the right level when the engine is cold. There should be mark on the bottle for both hot and cold. Check to make sure the the oil is at the right mark. It also works to cool the bike.

I think that I read somewhere that most engine oils are tested at 235dF. If you are running hot for long periods of time, I suppose it's possible that your bike might consume some oil by burning it off, so make sure to check the site glass.

Good luck,

Paul
03 954RR
98 VFR800fi (talk about running hot...)
00 CBR6000F4
94 VFR750F (gone, but not forgotten)

·
Registered
16 Posts
hokoyo said:
125 = 267f, 130 = 266f

Mine gets to 104 c (219f) in stop start traffic, the temp does not rise as quickly since i put Redline water wetter in.
so the hotter centigrade the cooler farenheit :idunno: , that is it I am keeping my guages set to farenheit just to be safe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OBMCW2 said:
so the hotter centigrade the cooler farenheit :idunno: , that is it I am keeping my guages set to farenheit just to be safe.
Well, not really, water boils at 212 f at sea level but in celsius it boils at 100 c :)

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
2OHOH2 said:
:eek: this thread was dead for nearly a year...
Yeah, it's typically ND4SPD who sits and reads through the archives looking to wake up Ghosts of Fireblades Past. Now Dookie, go figgure. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
coeff said:
<font color='#000000'>...... said the temp guage when I turned on the ignition.

On a related observation, Engine Ice was good for a 3 degree drop in running temp, I normally see around 194° after a few miles constant running at 65mph. Today it ran about 190-191°.</font>

Yeah, I remember livin out in the Mojave, go out and start the bike and WHAM, 105 or something on the temp gauge... Ah, miss the warmth.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It was 93* here in florida yesterday and I saw 210*-220* in traffic and 198* when moving.

·
Registered
121 Posts
monkey said:
My 03 954 fan comes on at 213F. In stop and go traffic, it runs about 205. At highway speeds, I usually see about 185. Someone posted that theirs ran at 245? That seems a little warm, and I live in Vegas too. Check to make sure that your fan is running. It "should be" at 215. Check your owners manual for the exact temp. If the fan doesn't come on, it could be the thermostat switch, which sits in the side of the radiator. Or a blown fuse? Check the water level in your overflow bottle. Make sure that it's at the right level when the engine is cold. There should be mark on the bottle for both hot and cold. Check to make sure the the oil is at the right mark. It also works to cool the bike.

I think that I read somewhere that most engine oils are tested at 235dF. If you are running hot for long periods of time, I suppose it's possible that your bike might consume some oil by burning it off, so make sure to check the site glass.

Good luck,

Paul
03 954RR
98 VFR800fi (talk about running hot...)
00 CBR6000F4
94 VFR750F (gone, but not forgotten)
We should get together sometime to go ride.Anyway, whats the hottest you EVER saw your bike get in stop and go traffic during summer? I was on Rancho at the 95, and I moved about 1/2 mile in 20 mins. This is when the temp rose to 245. It was well over 100 degrees out too. You think this could be normal? It does run inbetween 180 and 190 after moving for a while though. I notice when it initially warms up, the temp rises to 189, then backs down to 179 then goes back up from there. I guess this is the thermostat opening? My bike is going in on Tuesday to be looked at for the cooling problem, but they told me its absolutely normal because the bike isn't made to run while not moving. :idunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts