Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Would it help to run 107 octane in A 99 cbr 900

Help in what way exactly?
I can't think of any advantage to using it but it may have some additives that make it worthwhile for engine life and fuel economy perhaps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give it more power. Or clean out any gunk or is it better to use a cleaner additive or pull the carb out and clean it ? I replaced the plugs and it hesitates about 4-5k rpm

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Give it more power. Or clean out any gunk or is it better to use a cleaner additive or pull the carb out and clean it ? I replaced the plugs and it hesitates about 4-5k rpm

No, higher octane does not increase power.
It allows you to run higher compression and that gives you more power.
Did it hesitate before you replaced the plugs?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Are you concerned that your carbs may be dirty? It sound as though you are. I'm not sure that would clean your carbs, but I know that there are additives that will loosen up the varnish. Burning that varnish through the engine probably isn't going to do it any favors though.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i would try it its not gonna hurt anything and sounds easier than pulling the carb

Some fuels can cause problems, especially racing fuels like methanol. If you don't know for sure that it's okay don't use it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Too much octane can. Be a bad thing. It will burn cooler. So much cooler that you will loose power & possibly cause carbon buildup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too much octane can. Be a bad thing. It will burn cooler. So much cooler that you will loose power & possibly cause carbon buildup.
Yeah depends what you after.. but I found too much octane was actually giving a slight ping 07 1000RR and awe-full down low.. was running 98 went down to 95 and bike is a lot quieter but funnily enough a more cleaner responsiveness..

·
Registered
183 Posts
High octane gas burns slower, thus preventing detonation.
However you don't need to run more than 87 in your 900rr. I like to run 91 since it's only a few dollars more and my bikes seem to run better on premium fuel. Race fuel is really only required for high compression engines, or turbo bikes, etc.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The best fuel for your bike is the fuel specified in the manual.

Higher octane DOES NOT equal more power, unless you're doing things like increasing compression or using a turbo. Even then, it's not the octane that's increasing the power, it's the modifications. Octane SLOWS DOWN the fuel burn, and helps to reduce or eliminate knock.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The best fuel for your bike is the fuel specified in the manual.

Higher octane DOES NOT equal more power, unless you're doing things like increasing compression or using a turbo. Even then, it's not the octane that's increasing the power, it's the modifications. Octane SLOWS DOWN the fuel burn, and helps to reduce or eliminate knock.

Higher octane provides only one advantage - it can sit for longer before it becomes low octane.
But outside of the US the top-tier fuels have a bunch of additives that make them very worthwhile, in particular for engine life and fuel mileage.
I run 98RON in all my engines. I had cause to open up a car engine 60,000kms since I built it that's been run exclusively on 98 and the engine was spotless, so I intend to continue running it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The higher the octane, the more resistant to it is to compression combustion (dieseling.) In higher compression motors, lower octanes can cause knocking due to the fuel combustion process starting under compression before the spark (pre-ignition) causing Piston Slap.

I know 107 here is considered "race fuel" and is a fully leaded fuel. Leaded fuel can clog injectors that are ment to run non-leaded. Maybe the carb guys can better say if the leaded fuels would clog jets ment for non leaded fuels.

·
Banned
681 Posts
...top-tier fuels have a bunch of additives that make them very worthwhile, in particular for engine life and fuel mileage.
I run 98RON in all my engines. I had cause to open up a car engine 60,000kms since I built it that's been run exclusively on 98 and the engine was spotless
What components were you looking at, the combustion chamber? 60,000kms isn't much to accumulate signs of any build up. I replaced a head gasket with 160,000kms and my pushrods, valves, springs, cylinder walls, lifters, were all factory new looking, down to the assembly stamp markings.
I use whatever gas I want as long as it's 87 octane, and I've opened up engines with twice the mileage to handle recall work myself. I also found a spotless engines, but gave most of the credit to Mobil 1 oil that I've used since 1982, in everything. The only tribute fuel would play a role is in the injector nozzles, carb jets, and other intake orifices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts