Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the biggest problem I am having with the New Duc 1098:

Where the heck can it be run???? Pro or amateur, it is out because it is over a liter.

My recent track experience indicates that I will be buried before I get fast enough to race again. However, I still like my bike to meet the "legal requirements" for a class so that I can pretend to be Ricky Racer.

Oh and check out this pic again from http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ducati-motorcycles/52305-duc-1098-looking-better-better.html.
That is on SuperCorsas. WOW.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That's my problem with the bike as well. No where to race the thing in a sanctioned race. It is a beautiful bike and probably runs well but my question is why? And why not just put the 999 motor into that chassis?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My recent track experience indicates that I will be buried before I get fast enough to race again.

Yeah thats me x1,000:rotfl: I'll worry about those "race class" technicalities when I am actually fast.

Good question though:thumb: ... reminds me of that 1000+cc (correct me if I am wrong) Buell that was competing with the 600cc jap bikes.

-jh

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats me x1,000:rotfl: I'll worry about those "race class" technicalities when I am actually fast.

Good question though:thumb: ... reminds me of that 1000+cc (correct me if I am wrong) Buell that was competing with the 600cc jap bikes.

-jh
Yeah, but Ducati is Italian. H.D. carries a lot more clout in the U.S. Although Ducati had exceptions for years because they were a twin.

Maybe we should both try the Buell class. I hear you don't have to drag anything but the crankcase.

:smilebig:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to burst you guys bubble but the RC51 had same treatment. All the twins had different weight specs and displacment specs. From what I have read they built the bike hoping they racing bodies were gonna change tthe rules to allow for bigger twins so they could be competive with 1000 inline 's. Kind of a big gamble but this thing has awsome nubers and is sexy as hell. I think if the motor is trashed in my repsol I will be riding one of these next summer.

·
Registered
145 Posts

-jh
They get exemptions because they have cutting edge 1930's push-rod valves.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are all kinds of classes it can run in multiple club series.
Well, heck I'll run against you. BUT I get the 1098 and you get no more than a 600 with TWO bangers. I'll even let ya have the new 600RR. But pistons 1 & 4 are OUT.:p

Sorry to burst you guys bubble but the RC51 had same treatment. All the twins had different weight specs and displacment specs. From what I have read they built the bike hoping they racing bodies were gonna change tthe rules to allow for bigger twins so they could be competive with 1000 inline 's. Kind of a big gamble but this thing has awsome nubers and is sexy as hell. I think if the motor is trashed in my repsol I will be riding one of these next summer.
Hmm..... The RC51 was specifically built to beat the Ducs and Aprilias, which were the only twins running competitively. Honda got tired of the Ducati winning because of the rules and went and built a kick-butt twin. When the rules changed again, the twins no longer had an advantage and Honda dropped it from racing like a Hot Valve Stem.

I don't know if Ducati's gamble will work, this time.
Personally, I think all racing classifications should just be based on displacement, with no other restrictions besides safety.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Yeah, the RC51 was built AFTER the rules were changed to allow 1000cc motorcycles in Superbike racing against 750cc inline fours. Honda did so to maximize benefits to the cheater rules that favored the Ducatis. The RC51 was never in peril of not being able to race in any series. I don't know where that info about it being built hoping to race against inline 1000cc fours was gleaned, but it is 100% incorrect.
Honda taking advantage of the special Ducati treatment is what got the sanctioning bodies to change the rules to allow 1000cc inline fours into the fray.

But most clubs have a GTU class, open superbike class and/or open twins class where that new Ducati can stretch its legs. Racing it in pretty much any club series including WERA will be a piece of cake.

And I'll take that race against a 600RR missing two spark plugs only if I can get a three lap head start. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats called Formula Extreme...
That's a great series. Ever notice how much better Yami does there?

Y
But most clubs have a GTU class, open superbike class and/or open twins class where that new Ducati can stretch its legs. Racing it in pretty much any club series including WERA will be a piece of cake.

And I'll take that race against a 600RR missing two spark plugs only if I can get a three lap head start. :D
Hot - I might go for the Duc, then. I like torque.

And I might be able to give you that 3 laps - at Daytona.
:smilebig:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts