Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 15/43 gearing for a few years and it is time for new chain and sprockets. What are some of your likes and dislikes with the 15/45 combination?

I know I will lose top end (don't use it), and will lose some gas milage on interstate (not that great anyway).

Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I run 15/47 on my 929 racebike and I still use first gear for one corner.
It's fine on the road as well.

Reactions: Ironhead

·
Registered
95 Posts
15/44 is perfect for me. +2 in the rear(45) would have been too much for me on the street. In its current config. 1st-3rd can go by real fast. But it lets me bring 4th-6th into play when out on the twisties. It gets out of exits alot stronger. She easily cruises in 6th at 70mph at about 5000rpms. Full Akro and PC3 as well. I love it!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think the bike feels buzzier on the highway. My throttle hand vibrated worse. but the power was great. You'll take off a few more mph off top end and first gear was about worthless. Just wanted to wheelie but it was like that before

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ive got 15/45 and i don't think 1st is worthless at all... you can pull 65 mph in 1st at redline... i dont know how much faster you need to go without shifting. The upside I have noticed is it pulls alot harder at higher speeds and in higher gears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just re-geared my bike with a 520 kit with 15/45 and with the power mods I just did I think my bike may pull a little hard for my liking in 1st gear. I will try to update this once I ride it for a bit and get a good feel for everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was time to replace the chain so I went with a 520 conversion (-1/+2) and a Speedohealer. What a difference as it really wakes the bike up. :evilaugh: I both track the bike and ride it downtown to work. What is really needed now because the front end comes up so quickly is a damperinger (I am looking at the Ohlins) because the headshake can be really bad, like dangerous bad. :eek:

Other bike power mods - PC-III +dynotune, Akro-Evo exhaust, KN air filter. 125.8HP recorded at the wheel, 91 octane gas, 2700ft altitude.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It was time to replace the chain so I went with a 520 conversion (-1/+2) and a Speedohealer. What a difference as it really wakes the bike up. :evilaugh: I both track the bike and ride it downtown to work. What is really needed now because the front end comes up so quickly is a damperinger (I am looking at the Ohlins) because the headshake can be really bad, like dangerous bad. :eek:

Other bike power mods - PC-III +dynotune, Akro-Evo exhaust, KN air filter. 125.8HP recorded at the wheel, 91 octane gas, 2700ft altitude.
:evilaugh: is right. cant wait to fire up my bike :crap:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went to the gearing calculator and checked the speeds/rpm. I will probly just go +1 in the back. Have any of you changed your gearing on your 954's? I am wondering the difference between (-1/+1) (=/+1) (=/+2). I'm just curious to see what people have done it think of it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
+2 at the back is just to compensate the /55 profile rear tire, if you going use it
i dont understand what you mean by compensate? what does a 190/55 vs. a 190/50 tire have to do with rear sprocket size? if you or someone else could please educate me on this i would greatly appreciate it as i will be needing a new chain/sprocket soon and currently do run a 190/55 tire but with a 15/43 setup in 520..i was planning on going up to a 44T rear this time but if there is a good reason to go one more to a 45T i will.. thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Your gearing is also affected by the diameter of the tyre.
There isn't much difference in the tyre diameter though - the /55 is about 20mm larger diameter than the /50. This raises your gearing maybe 3%. +1 on the rear with the 190/55 gives you about the same gearing as a 190/50.

·
Registered
511 Posts
thanks for the answer, i forgot about tire circumference!! I know when i use that gearing calculator they do ask for the tire size when making calculations.. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts