Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Sweden

I recently bought a 929-01 and wonder if there is any 16" front wheel that fits this bike without too much hazzle?
Preferrably without having to change disc and brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
That was my thought too. I'm sure there must be a good reason. I'm sure @IanDoohan will chip in later because I think he, and a couple of others on here (Gunk?) have done the opposite, i.e. the 17" wheel on the earlier models.

I'm fairly confident on the 929 though, that there'd be a myriad of problems not only with spacers, but also with the caliper mounting positions sitting the calipers to high leaving no form of adjustment - unless they're packed out with washers. And then, of course, comes the steering geometry!!

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,992 Posts
Wow! This a new one. I would
say the most difficult aspect would be getting a set of 330mm rotors with the older bolt pattern to match up to the 16” rim. Form there, it’s just a matter of spacers and a bearing swap to accept the 25mm axle from the 929. Probably won’t be able to use dust seals after that, but unsure.

I would love to see if someone has done it, and what the benefits would be. I can’t see any TBH.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
The answer to "why" is that i would like a more down tilted riding position, like on my ZX7R.
Lowering the forks on this bike is not good on these, i´ve heard.
With the greatest respect, how the heck would you notice a half inch or 12.7 mm?

Heap of money, and that's before you even do a tyre search! You may be better just putting on a '60' profile tyre (instead of the '70' and try that for starters.

Another alternative is to drop the clipons down the fork tube a bit, making sure you leave clearance within the fairings.

·
7,992 Posts
The answer to "why" is that i would like a more down tilted riding position, like on my ZX7R.
Lowering the forks on this bike is not good on these, i´ve heard.
Get a lower set of racing clip-on handle bars and drop the triple clamps 5mm. OR, shim/raise the rear shock.

Those options cost nearly nothing and will net you a better handling bike than a Frankenstein front end.

AND ADD A STEERING DAMPER 👍🏻

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the greatest respect, how the heck would you notice a half inch or 12.7 mm?

Heap of money, and that's before you even do a tyre search! You may be better just putting on a '60' profile tyre (instead of the '70' and try that for starters.

Another alternative is to drop the clipons down the fork tube a bit, making sure you leave clearance within the fairings.
- To use other tires profiles is one option. Don´t know how much that would do though? Lower profile in front and higher rear...do you know how much that would lower/raise approximately?
Drop the clipons does not change the "tilting" of the bike, just the tilting of me : )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a lower set of racing clip-on handle bars and drop the triple clamps 5mm. OR, shim/raise the rear shock.

Those options cost nearly nothing and will net you a better handling bike than a Frankenstein front end.

AND ADD A STEERING DAMPER 👍🏻
- I read in a forum somewhere that dropping the triples is not a good option to lower the front on these bikes? Don´t know why... I´ve done it on my ZX7R, and on that bike it was a good "mod" for handling.
Clip-ons just lower the pilot, not the bike.

The steering damper - is that necessary on these bikes or only when lowering the front/raising the rear?

·
7,992 Posts
- I read in a forum somewhere that dropping the triples is not a good option to lower the front on these bikes? Don´t know why... I´ve done it on my ZX7R, and on that bike it was a good "mod" for handling.
Clip-ons just lower the pilot, not the bike.

The steering damper - is that necessary on these bikes or only when lowering the front/raising the rear?
I suggested the clip ins to make it “feel” like the front end was lower. Still having a hard time determining what your ultimate goal is.I haven’t heard that dropping the triples is detrimental to the 929, but of course I haven’t been researching it either. I’ve done it in all my 900’s (not 929) and have had no ill effects. I suggested the damper for the guess that lowering the triples May present the more likelihood of a tank slapper.

Drop the triples and ride it. Form your own opinion on how it rides/handles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suggested the clip ins to make it “feel” like the front end was lower. Still having a hard time determining what your ultimate goal is.I haven’t heard that dropping the triples is detrimental to the 929, but of course I haven’t been researching it either. I’ve done it in all my 900’s (not 929) and have had no ill effects. I suggested the damper for the guess that lowering the triples May present the more likelihood of a tank slapper.

Drop the triples and ride it. Form your own opinion on how it rides/handles.
- How much did you lower the triples on your bike? I might go that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts