Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

16inch to 17 inch wheel

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  joycey1 
#1 ·
hi can anyone help please i have a cbr900 fireblade with a 16 inch front wheel and want to change it to a 17 inch i was told that a cbr600 17 inch front wheel from a 1991 will fit my fireblade does anyone now if this is right and if so what do i need to do, to change it, eg change disc and higher mudguard

#2 ·
Which model do you have?
The '98/'99 is a pain but the previous models simply use an F3 wheel I think.
I wouldn't use a wheel earlier than the F3 though.
The 16" and 17" tyres are almost identical in diameter so you don't need to change the guard.
Search the forum has this has been discussed in enormous detail over many years.

#6 ·
I had a cbr600 wheel wheel on my 94 fireblade. Also used an NC30 front wheel (when getting tyres etc etc). Dead easy - but you must get the right wheel. Also you will need to use your spacers (off the blade).

I used the CBR900 rotors, the CBR600 rotors and the CBR400 rotors interchangeably - depending on which wheel I was using.

I believe that the rolling radius if the 16" front is not far off that of the 17" - due a lot in part to the high tyre wall on the 130/60 front compared to the 120/70. In any event -I did not drop the forks and liked the way the blade handled. This will, inevitably, be a matter of opinion and feel....determined by your personal riding style.

I can provide Pics of the wheel if necessary (PM me) - because the wheels are not all the same.

Finally - if you are getting a secondhand wheel - I would suggest changing the bearings, valves etc as a matter of course..... And inspecting the wheel carefully when doing so.....

Bladeracer is correct - there are lots of threads re a front wheel swap on here, and that the 98/99 blades are different and require a different approach.

Have fun...

#8 ·
Hi
I've got an rrv and did the wheel change last month. It was a straight swap for an Cbr 600 fs-fw wheel. It came with discs which are same size and slotted straight in using my original spacers. No issues with clearance on the mudguard but I think you would struggle to get a fender extender on aswell. I'm now running 023 tyres with no issues. I've heard about dropping the forks 5mm to speed up the steering but it rides fine as it is. Nice and stable which is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Drop me a line if you need any further details or photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.