Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys..
I was a little surprised to find the Fireblade has a 16" front tyre.. and that it is preferable to get a VFR750 rim to correct an inherent problem with steering on a 16" rim..
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance..

Dan.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hello Guys..
I was a little surprised to find the Fireblade has a 16" front tyre.. and that it is preferable to get a VFR750 rim to correct an inherent problem with steering on a 16" rim..
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance..

Dan.

There is no inherent steering problem with the 16" wheel though.
The _only_ drawback is tyre choice, but the tyres that are available work just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.. so the current 130/70/16 is ok?

I picked up a 190/55/17 rear.. will that work with the above front tyre? or understeer?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
OK.. so the current 130/70/16 is ok?

I picked up a 190/55/17 rear.. will that work with the above front tyre? or understeer?

Personal preference, try some other profiles if you want to.
When I raced my '90 GSXR750 when it was new on Michelin Hi-Sports I preferred the 130-60 over the 120/70 that everybody else was running. I'm considering trying some different front profiles again as it does steer differently to the later GSXR's I'm used to.

It'll work, but 190 is designed for the six-inch wheel, the 900RR wheel is 5.5" so the profile won't be optimal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personal preference, try some other profiles if you want to.
When I raced my '90 GSXR750 when it was new on Michelin Hi-Sports I preferred the 130-60 over the 120/70 that everybody else was running. I'm considering trying some different front profiles again as it does steer differently to the later GSXR's I'm used to.

It'll work, but 190 is designed for the six-inch wheel, the 900RR wheel is 5.5" so the profile won't be optimal.
Good advice... I see on the tyre specs on the 900RR it says 180 for rear.. but for $80.. cant complain for a new tyre. :) after its gone I will play around with different specs and see what suits me best.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Good advice... I see on the tyre specs on the 900RR it says 180 for rear.. but for $80.. cant complain for a new tyre. :) after its gone I will play around with different specs and see what suits me best.

Thanks

I just put a 190/55 on the back of my GSXR (I'm racing it again now as an Historic bike) which is a 5.5" as well (I was running a 6" mag but I destroyed it last year so I have the original on it for now), the profile is odd but I'm expecting it'll work okay. If I don't like I'll throw it on the ZX6R and put a 180 on the GSXR instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts