Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a flat on the rear so I figured I'd get both, trying sportec's. How many of you run 180 as opposed to 190? Does it change the tire life? Any other things I should know? Thanks

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Heavy-Dee : It's all about the bling yo.
Werd. Juss gots me da 250 fo my sick-le. Yeah, dats rite, gonna be a sick cycle when dis be done, G.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Go wid da 200 yo.  

Actually, most people like the feel of the 180, but there's more to the 190 than looks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I got you guys a present, here it is I could care less about bling. I have a hard time getting my 190 pilot sport to the edge, so I'm not worried about contact patch. But does a 180 heat cycle different? And one more question, do you run a 50 or 55 tall? Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
luvtolean : but there's more to the 190 than looks.
Like what? I know that most use the 180 for quicker turn in but what, other than looks, is the 190 for?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It's a bit more stable, in theory should last a little longer, and it should also hook up a little better on the throttle from corner exits. We're not talking huge differences here...

The downside is that it turns in more slowly, and there aren't as many tires available in a 190.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Just so you know:

I have a 190 on my bike. I considered the 180, but figured that I wouldn't notice the handling diff and liked the look of that fat tire so I went w/ the 190. Pirelli Diablos, and I got all the way to the edge last weekend at Nelson Ledges.

·
Registered
497 Posts
luvtolean : It's a bit more stable, in theory should last a little longer, and it should also hook up a little better on the throttle from corner exits.  We're not talking huge differences here...

The downside is that it turns in more slowly, and there aren't as many tires available in a 190.
I see. So personal preference is really the determining factor it would seem. Of course it sounds like the 190 would be better suited for the street rider.

Thanks LTL.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
thebackdraft :  So personal preference is really the determining factor it would seem.  
Exactly. I prefer the wider tires personally.

·
Registered
925 Posts
luvtolean : Quote (thebackdraft @ Aug. 11 2003, 1:05pm) So personal preference is really the determining factor it would seem.  
Exactly.  I prefer the wider tires personally.
Squidbrua---

The 190 X 55 is da shite--I lengthened my chain so now I can run one---hehehehe

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ran 190/55 Supercorsas on the track and agree w/ the Ho, they are an excellent tire. Warm up quick, very stable, turn in is as good as a 180/55, and great traction. If you're just doing street riding I'd save some money and get the 180s though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
190/55 requires a longer chain to provide clearance? It's something like 4mm taller than a 180/55 right? So, that
small difference is a clearance issue...I dunno so I'm askin.
Has anyone run a 190/55 with stock length chain, did it rub
and buck?

TIA boyz

·
Registered
925 Posts
Joachim2311 : 190/55 requires a longer chain to provide clearance? It's something like 4mm taller than a 180/55 right? So, that
small difference is a clearance issue...I dunno so I'm askin.
Has anyone run a 190/55 with stock length chain, did it rub
and buck?

TIA boyz
Dpends what sprockets you are running---stock cain length an 15/45--NO WAY--180X55 rubbed until I made some mods---but with the DK dogbone, I was able to lengthen the chain 2 links---running a 15/46---a 190 X55 would fit NO prob now---dont forget, the tire 'grows' at speed approx 5mm in radius

·
Registered
925 Posts
Bacchus : Quote (Trackho @ Aug. 11 2003, 10:11pm)dont forget, the tire 'grows' at speed approx 5mm in radius
Radius, or diameter?  Serious question here, as I never thought about this type of expansion  
RADIUS as written---ie if your tire is touching the swingarm--you will have a 5mm deep gouge out of the center---trust me--I know--so does vnatchu---he cut his rear tire in half

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
  Now THAT is something to think about!

Edit: Wait a minute, you said 'you will have a 5mm gouge out of the center'. This isn't making sense to me?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The center of the tire hits the swingarm first, so while riding it cuts the center of the tire. Ho found the tire to expand about 5mm so he ended up with a 5mm gouge in the middle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't count links but: w/ stock linkage and a 520 chain turning 15/45 gears I had to increase the wheel base by at least a half inch to get rid of the rubbing (groove) w/ a 190/55 tire.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts