Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To settle this issue once and for all...EXACTLY what are the differences between the two? As a daily driver/weekend canyon carver is the ride/turn in obviously different? I'm looking at the "Corsa thread" and being ready for a spring tire change need to know. For me, my riding is 70% commuting 30% fun time @ an intermediate level except when I ride over my head...At least one track/school day is planned for the summer...

TIA

J

·
Registered
593 Posts
fumbducker said:
To settle this issue once and for all...EXACTLY what are the differences between the two? As a daily driver/weekend canyon carver is the ride/turn in obviously different? I'm looking at the "Corsa thread" and being ready for a spring tire change need to know. For me, my riding is 70% commuting 30% fun time @ an intermediate level except when I ride over my head...At least one track/school day is planned for the summer...

TIA

J
When I changed over to a 180 (Dunlop 208GP) I noticed the quicker turn in straight away.

I cant think of any reason to not run a 180 regardless of what kind of riding you do.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My mate also noticed he was using more of the edge of his front tyre after the 180 change

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aussie_929 said:
When I changed over to a 180 (Dunlop 208GP) I noticed the quicker turn in straight away.

I cant think of any reason to not run a 180 regardless of what kind of riding you do.

Thanks for the input...

J

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ratter1 said:
My mate also noticed he was using more of the edge of his front tyre after the 180 change
Your mate your shmate...go celebrate your (early) new years...

J

·
Registered
497 Posts
fumbducker said:

TIA

J
:deadhors: Did you try a search? It has been discussed. If memory serves the 180 is cheaper and does provide quicker turn in. The 190 looks better, if that matters to you, and provides a larger footprint whiled leaned over. I think the general consensus was 190 for street and 180 for track. Keep in mind aspect ratio will make a difference also and some should be taken into account.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you want a point to debate, some have argued that the 180 has as much or more contact patch at full lean due to the steeper profile. Of course, we are putting it on a rim that is a half inch wider than it is designed for, so that compensates for the steeper profile and forces it into a shape more like a 190. Not saying that it is a problem to put a 180 on a six inch rim, just that it is not the exact size of rim the tire is designed for.

Either way, just try it for yourself. You can always switch back after you wear it out. You could probably find as much difference in profile just going to a different brand of tire as there is between 180 vs 190 of the same brand.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The differences between them (assuming you are talking about a 180/55 vs a 190/50) is profile (also weight, price, and contact patch). The 190 has a little more of the "flat" profile while the 180 is a bit more rounded.

Try the best of both worlds and get a 190/55 :). There is a limited amount of tires with this size available, but it gives you a larger contact patch and a more rounded profile that gives you a quicker turn in. :thumb:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Don't some of the 180's also tend to rub a little on the front of the swingarm at high speed due to expansion, or am I thinking of something else?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I think some of the 180's were rubbing on some of the huggers that members fitted to the 929s, but they probably had the 45 sprocket on the back and that would bring the tyre further forward :idunno:

·
Registered
92 Posts
nd4spd,

A 180/55 is definitely closer to swingarm at largest dia (middle of tread) than 190/50. I checked for this. I would definitely not run one with hugger that runs down between swing arm and tire in this area (NWS etc...) with a 180/55. With Pirelli SC 180/55 on my bike I had about 8mm clearance. You figure a hugger that runs between tire and swingarm would use about 5mm of that leaving 3mm. That is standing still, not accounting for any growth in dia that may occur at speed. Not a whole lot. I have stock gearing and of course how close your tire is depends on your chain tensioner adjustments too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts