Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question but is it possible without problem and modification to put a 190 tire on a stock 99' CBR900RR? Here's the deal, I'm low on cash and have an excess of 190 tires from scrapped hayabusa's around, will these tires work on my fireblade?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awsome that means I've got years worth of rubber kicking around then if my brother doesn't burn them all up on his busa's before I can get to them.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Obviously check the side clearance, and don't forget the tire will expand about 1/8 inch at higher speeds, so also check that it won't rub if it expands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tire will fit fine on the wheel but I have heard that the stock wheel is to skinny for the tire and your tire will bow out in the middle and cause slightly worse handling....Again, that is all hear say. I have never put anything bigger than stock on my so I can't say from experience. But if you put a 190 on let us know how it feels in the twisties compared to your stocker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fitted a Bridgestone 020 dual compound 190/50/17. I felt no bad difference to the 180/55/17 that was on before hand. I've had the bike a couple of times over 250kph and it doesn't scrape anywhere. Around the twisty's even two up I've scraped my toes and the rear feels planted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to pour cold water on this Gargoyle, if it works for you then go for it, but..

My rr-n had a 190 on it when I bought it. Later I swapped it out for a 180. With that 190 the bike was very jittery on high speed sweepers and a real handful at low speeds round slow bends/roundabouts and wotnot. Also on removal i found a nice big groove where it had been rubbing against the hugger (via expansion at higher speeds as per skater's comment).

A new 180 transformed the bike from a tank slappy happy thing to a pretty decent ride. This is not an entirely fair comparison as that 190 was showing threads and leaking air by the time I got round to changing it. But I stick with 180's now, I still ride them way past they're wear limits (being part scottish and having an awful lot of miles to cover) but even riding them till they're ready to drop off I've never had the sort of handling issues I experienced on the 190.

Could also have been that the profile of that rear didn't play nicely with what I had on the front. That is another aspect of this, so you may be just fine or you may notice adverse effects. I'd say give it a go, and see how it feels - sounds like you stand to save a heap of tyre pennies if it works out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Want to sell any of those 190s? Im in great need of a rear tire but im trying to hang out find a good deal on a slightly used one.
hc, do you have any racetech shops/clubs near you? if the techs are racers or supporting racers they should have access to plenty of barely scrubbed in rubber. if you don't mind the lack of chicken strips you can often pick up those barely used tyres for half the price of a new set.

just a thought...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey road rubber thats a good thought, never even crossed my mind, ill look into that im not too far from a track actually, i dont care if they are all only 50% left, for the right price it would be worth it. Plus, im a chicken so i dont get into the chicken strip area much, all would be well for me. Thanks for the thought

·
Registered
737 Posts
The tire will fit fine on the wheel but I have heard that the stock wheel is to skinny for the tire and your tire will bow out in the middle and cause slightly worse handling....Again, that is all hear say.
It's not hear say.

It's fact. A 190 on a 5.5" rim is an incorrect fitment which will negatively affect handling. I would never do it, not even if you gave me a free, brand new 190 Pilot Power!

Choosing the right tire size for your motorcycle rims - Sport Rider

We have enough things to worry about that we can't control when riding....why add to the risks? Why someone would deliberately change the dynamics of the bike (to its detriment) with a non-specified tire is beyond me.

That's just nuts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's not hear say.

It's fact. A 190 on a 5.5" rim is an incorrect fitment which will negatively affect handling. I would never do it, not even if you gave me a free, brand new 190 Pilot Power!

Choosing the right tire size for your motorcycle rims - Sport Rider

We have enough things to worry about that we can't control when riding....why add to the risks? Why someone would deliberately change the dynamics of the bike (to its detriment) with a non-specified tire is beyond me.

That's just nuts.
I'll have to disagree with you on that, Sime. Here in the club racing scene, at least half the racers on 600s (which all come w/ 5.5" wheels) are using 190 tires. Dunlop for example, only makes there 209GP and now 211 race tires in 190/55 tire sizes... no 180s. I recently switched to Bridgestones 002 Pros this last year and have run both the 180 and 190. I've had to change my geometry when going to the 190 on my R6, but it works well. The 180 will be easier to spin up on the corners and one may not be able to get as much corner speed or grip, but the lighter 180 tire gives you a couple more hp down the straights.

Personally, I wouldn't run a 190/50 street tire as I don't lean it over that much on the street and you're just sucking up gas, but if you have a lot of excess 190s and it's not rubbing against anything, why not?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally didn't like running the 190's on my 5.5" rim. Felt it was harder to turn in than the 180 and was harder to hold the line while leaned over. The 180 by comparison was much more planted, easier turn in; however, it did spin up a lot more getting on the throttle out of the corners. Dunlop is the only manufacturer I could find that lists the 5.5" rim as approved for the 190 tyres.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I guess since I actually have a 190/50/17 on my 99 I guess it is safe to say I can comment.
But back to the topic at hand. .. . . . . First off , he said money was an issue. And that he had an abundance of 190's available. I know ive been there. And while I will tend to agree with SIME, at the same time I will say do what you have to do.
I know for a fact that The 190 will fit and will not rub.
Admittedly Im not sure of the hugger clearance issues, as my 99 does not have the hugger.
And yes I have tried the 180 but personally I like the look and ride of the 190. I DO NOT race or stunt, Im just an everyday rider.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I'm no Rossi but yesterday was almost perfect riding weather in Cape Town and my brother on his R1 and my '93 Blade tore up the coast, 190 tyre and all. In fact even lifting my toes through the corners I was still scrapping my feet. Perhaps different tyres won't feel as good but the BT020 is great in my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My last bike was a '96 900 RR and one of the first things that I did, was put on a F3 front wheel and slapped on a 120/70/17, the next thing i did was put on a 190 section rear tire and rode it that way until I bought my 929 in '01. The set up was awesome, made me wonder why Honda didn't do it that way from the beginning. It was way more stable, and tank slappers went away. It felt like it was better planted in the turns, the smaller sidewall of the front tire communicated much better what was going on at the ground. The rear end hooked up better when on the gas exiting turns, and it slowed steering just enough to get rid of some of the twitchyness. In fact, I remember swapping with friends who had 900 RR's , and the difference was so apparant, they went out and set up their bikes like mine as soon as the ride was over. And I can remember thinking to myself, while on their bikes..."yep, this is why I did the wheel swap in the first place" So, for you who think that putting a 190 section rear tire on a 900 RR is dangerous...I successfully skirted the danger for about 5 years on mine...and not only did 190 section tire Voodoo not get to me....but I was also the best in the pack in the curves.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My last bike was a '96 900 RR and one of the first things that I did, was put on a F3 front wheel and slapped on a 120/70/17, the next thing i did was put on a 190 section rear tire and rode it that way until I bought my 929 in '01. The set up was awesome, made me wonder why Honda didn't do it that way from the beginning. It was way more stable, and tank slappers went away. It felt like it was better planted in the turns, the smaller sidewall of the front tire communicated much better what was going on at the ground. The rear end hooked up better when on the gas exiting turns, and it slowed steering just enough to get rid of some of the twitchyness. In fact, I remember swapping with friends who had 900 RR's , and the difference was so apparant, they went out and set up their bikes like mine as soon as the ride was over. And I can remember thinking to myself, while on their bikes..."yep, this is why I did the wheel swap in the first place" So, for you who think that putting a 190 section rear tire on a 900 RR is dangerous...I successfully skirted the danger for about 5 years on mine...and not only did 190 section tire Voodoo not get to me....but I was also the best in the pack in the curves.
bikepilot - that's interesting, but from what you're saying it seems like you need a 17" front to make a 190 rear work out. I'm not saying that's the case, or that that's what you're saying but did you ever try a 190 with the old 16" rim?

On handling and setup in general, do you really think you have to have a 17" front rim to make the bike nice to ride? Not so sure myself, if it's a handful round corners and everything else is right then a suspension guy should be able to tune out any skittishness on the font. Mine has the stock 16" rim and used to ride like yours did pre-conversion, I swapped out the 190 for a 180, had it tuned and now it's lovely.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts